Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye, Avon.

Not good news at all.
    The Cooper Tire & Rubber Company Europe announced yesterday (Thursday, October 13) that it is to begin a consultation process on the proposed closure of their tyre production site in Melksham
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

350 jobs wow. Is this plant the original source of the Avon brand?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

This was announced OCT 13th apparently
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I hope that doesn't affect one of the few tires that fits my '83 GS750ES. I may have to order a couple to put away.

Comment

As I understand it, Cooper tyres have factories elsewhere. Asia among them. The UK factory I think was doing the specialty lines. Car slicks, bike classic race tyres and similar. How much of the road bike lines actually came out of the UK I don't know. The roadrace sidecar guys are in trouble as Avon were doing the right size slicks and wets for them.

Comment

Not a good sign when the new location is not announced
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I had read that Cooper tires (US) has been acquired by Goodyear. Not an upgrade in my book. Cooper had countless recalls on their US made tires in the US. Much labor sabotage in the past. I didn't check it out and it may be web BS.

Used Avon bike tires here and there and was mostly good with them. A very long time ago I used to source Avon auto tires from the then US importer in Baltimore. They were always VG tires at a low price.

1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

In my day ('70's), Avon was the preferred brand for customizing. Big, FAT rear tires.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

In my day Avon sold perfume.

Comment

Working...
                  X