No announcement yet.

Battery support for power tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If getting the Milwaukee make sure to get the "Fuel" tools. They are vastly superior to the normal grade ones. At Christmas Home Depot had a $599 pack of six tools plus Charger & 2 or 3 batteries. About a $1350 package prices out separate... Not sure if they still have it.

I turned a mate onto that one for working on his new house....

For lower end I like Rigid tools (there are really only two players in this game in the US now... TTI is one company & I forget the other one). My Rigid Brushless drill/driver has done a lot of work (Incl putting 5/8 holes into Concrete at a push).

If you're feeling rich.... Festool's tools are amazing. Probably the best cordless tools I've used.

Bosch tools are good too....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      If getting the Milwaukee make sure to get the "Fuel" tools. They are vastly superior to the normal grade ones. At Christmas Home Depot had a $599 pack of six tools plus Charger & 2 or 3 batteries. About a $1350 package prices out separate... Not sure if they still have it.

I turned a mate onto that one for working on his new house....

For lower end I like Rigid tools (there are really only two players in this game in the US now... TTI is one company & I forget the other one). My Rigid Brushless drill/driver has done a lot of work (Incl putting 5/8 holes into Concrete at a push).

If you're feeling rich.... Festool's tools are amazing. Probably the best cordless tools I've used.

Bosch tools are good too....
      Rigid and Milwaukee fuel show up in a lot of youtube tear down and mechanic vids. Air tools are rarely seen.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I guess I'll be the one to speak the unspeakable here... time to upgrade. You really oughta try some of the newer brushless tools.

Pick your favorite color and dive in. I'm all-in on Ryobi's newer stuff (much better quality than the middlin' stuff they used to sell) and it's amazing. I have a teensy weensy drill and impact driver that are positively adorable -- and have vicious torque when you want it. They're light, they fit everywhere, and a battery charge lasts a ridiculously long time.

I also have a brushless angle grinder and 1/2" impact, along with several other tools and assorted batteries. All their batteries fit all their tools, although on higher-power tools there's an extra set of contacts that can get extra power from their "Plus" batteries.

Head to Home Depot, pick a long-lived major brand tool line with brushless tools and plenty of variety and dive in. Well worth the bucks. If you don't like snot yellow Ryobi or want something a little fancier, Milwaukee and Dewalt are always good, or Makita.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I've enjoyed both my Makita 12V drill and Dewalt 18V hammer drill for several years now, but I can't seem to find any decent batteries for these tools anymore. In the past I've had excellent success buying generic batteries from Amazon, but lately, every battery I've bought has been pure junk. I'm seriously thinking that I'll have to scrap these tools, for lack of decent batteries. Very frustrating...
          I have had the same problem with Amazon suppliers. with M18 Milwaukee equipment.

A replacement 5 amp 18 volt battery worked about as well as the manufacturer's 1.5 amp unit.
          The price had been good and I bought a pair of them, but after just a few uses, one shorted and died. .I complained about the very short life the seller sent a pair of 6 Amp batteries.

They worked better than their predecessors, but also are similar in functionality: they work as well as a Milwaukee original 2 amp unit.
          That was a year ago. I have one 6 and one 5 amp battery left, and their working ability is getting shorter with every charge.

I do not know what is available in US of Eh? but up here Milwaukee has had a sale going on for a month: buy a battery/charger kit and you get a free tool., plus
          Brushless hammer drills and impact driver sets are available at significant discounts.

The manufacturer batteries come with a much better life expectancy, as well as a longer-term guarantee.
          I bought a 5amp battery with charger and got a free 6 inch circular saw. Great device. I have already had more than an hour of cutting from it.

Edit
          Forgot to mention: the battery alone usually sells for close to the price I paid.
          Last edited by argonsagas; 01-13-2023, 11:51 PM.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            been happy with the Porter Cable Drill and Driver set
            I second that. We beat them up at work and they keep ticking....I left a big box (20 year collection ) of Makita at an Oreilleys with a free sign on them. Never looked back with Porter Cable. Got mine at Lowe's on BlackFri. Drill,impact,sawzall,skillsaw,flashlight,1/2 impact too !
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

A friend red seal electrician used brushless Dewalt stuff. Showed me the 60v brush cutter in his kitchen.
              terrifying.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
              X