Jeff Beck dies at 78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toot Toot... There I did it for you.
    Last edited by storm 64; 01-12-2023, 09:38 AM.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I have always known of him, just never paid attention enough to know what he was responsible for.

Comment

Sometime around 1988, I bought a cassette tape of British rock group Yardbirds tunes featuring Clapton, Page, and Beck. This song was on it. I've had an appreciation for all of them ever since.

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          Toot Toot... There I did it for you.
          Come on Norm! You can do better than that.

TOOT! TOOT!
          Ron
          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

A Day in the Life:
            Jeff Beck - GuitarVinnie Colaiuta - DrumsTal Wilkenfeld - BassJason Rebello - Keys

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

I'm sure he did...you just didn't realize it.
              That song is a wonderful one. As for not having come across his music, that's unlikely:

https://www.billboard.com/lists/jeff...the-life-1998/

Beck's "Bolero" is stunning.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post

That song is a wonderful one. As for not having come across his music, that's unlikely:

https://www.billboard.com/lists/jeff...the-life-1998/

Beck's "Bolero" is stunning.
                I agree Mason....I can't believe someone could say they never heard of him and be a fan of music. He has a ton of respect from people that know way more about music than me....
                No signature :(

Comment

No doubt, Beck was one of the all-time great guitarists. Rolling Stone rates him number 5. Back in the day, I bought Blow by Blow and Wired, two albums considered his best, and listened to them quite a lot. They never really hit my heart, though. I think that's Beck's legacy in part; he could play, as good as anyone, but his body of work didn't reach the upper levels. His playing skills could easily match Clapton or Page, but those guys playlists are infinitely longer than Beck's. I read a story about him the other day, and he was known for being "a guitar players, guitar player." I think that's the ultimate complement to his playing skills.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Pat Metheny another non mainstream play.
                    check out last train out.
                    youtube has vids of hour plus variations which are tedious fir lack of variation. The tawdry lie of tantric sex in sound.
                    rattle that lock by Gilmour or the other PF geezer is nice.
                    The moody blues did an awesome record in the past few years as well
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

A lot of people considered Beck's music "Climatic", and that sounds good the first few times, but then gets boring. He wasn't Rock 'n Roll, more of a fusion guitarist.

Back then (and now) I am more into Weather Report" and other music along those lines. My 23 year old son has turned me on to a lot of really good music, but I just can't remember names, never have.

I am thankful that people listen too all sorts of music. It would be horrible if people all listened to the same stuff. I don't state what I have to brag, Everything I got was either about to be thrown away, or given to me when I installed so called "High End" systems through my shop, when people were about to throw out vintage audio equipment. I am happy so have cabinets full of working tube amps, they will all go to me son, who already treasures them. I like collecting antique audio, especially since I've become an antique myself.
                      Last edited by Suzukian; 01-13-2023, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Beck got a lot of airplay where I lived, on the coasts, but I can understand his lack of exposure in many parts of America. Seemed like a great guy, I watched a documentary on him. Some of his songs from his 70s era (Wired, Blow by Blow) had some amazing songs that got airplay, rare for instrumentals. Like Blue Wind - a fave of mine. And he came up with Superstition for Stevie Wonder. There's a cool ultra-mod cringe scene in 'Blow Up' with him and Jimmy Page playing Train Kept a Rollin' that I like, if nothing else just for the time capsule of London 1966 factor.. Truth had that heavy blues sound, after oh, psychedelic/Indian and gunslinger stuff with the Yardbirds, yadayadayada. What a legend. I know there's 1352 guitar pickers in Nashville that could probably do his thing but he was an original.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                          Beck got a lot of airplay where I lived, on the coasts, but I can understand his lack of exposure in many parts of America. Seemed like a great guy, I watched a documentary on him. Some of his songs from his 70s era (Wired, Blow by Blow) had some amazing songs that got airplay, rare for instrumentals. Like Blue Wind - a fave of mine. And he came up with Superstition for Stevie Wonder. There's a cool ultra-mod cringe scene in 'Blow Up' with him and Jimmy Page playing Train Kept a Rollin' that I like, if nothing else just for the time capsule of London 1966 factor.. Truth had that heavy blues sound, after oh, psychedelic/Indian and gunslinger stuff with the Yardbirds, yadayadayada. What a legend. I know there's 1352 guitar pickers in Nashville that could probably do his thing but he was an original.
                          Hells bells mocking Townshend. Hilarious bit. Nice little weird film. A fleeting glimpse if redgraves nipple if you loop it. Yes I looped it.
                          so was the photog the dead guy?
                          and the mimed tennis bit. He tosses back the pretend ball and audio if the ball being struck ensues out of shot.
                          on another film note I did me the dubious dharma of watching Cleopatra. Rex H. was lovely but burton and especially Taylor were pure garbage. And Martin Landau doing his one trick. I.e. Go bug-eyed and bombastic. Taylor was especially bad actress it makes you wonder how she ever got parts.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Hells bells mocking Townshend. Hilarious bit. Nice little weird film. A fleeting glimpse if redgraves nipple if you loop it. Yes I looped it.
                            so was the photog the dead guy?
                            and the mimed tennis bit. He tosses back the pretend ball and audio if the ball being struck ensues out of shot.
                            on another film note I did me the dubious dharma of watching Cleopatra. Rex H. was lovely but burton and especially Taylor were pure garbage. And Martin Landau doing his one trick. I.e. Go bug-eyed and bombastic. Taylor was especially bad actress it makes you wonder how she ever got parts.
                            Not sure where you went with the Cleopatra but yeah that was the worst faux Townshend guitar smashing ever. That movie was like so many cashing in on R&R at the time. Heck Lowell George was even on F-Troop once.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

How many people claim to remember his work but can't name a single song he recorded? Here's a couple that got some attention on commercial radio stations.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                Rolling Stone rates him number 5.
                                Beck, Clapton, Page, Knopfler, Becker. I listen to lots more Dire Straits and Steely Dan than the others....
                                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                                X