Train crash & chemical fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train crash & chemical fire

Train crash, chemical fire has been on news.
    is in Ohio.
    I see is Columbia OH (not Columbus) and that is just southeast of Youngstown, and evacuating a large area and gonna burn for days.

Norm , Storming Norm ? ?
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

A train derailed near the Ohio-Pennsylvania border triggering a massive blaze that prompted an evacuation order. Authorities are concerned about the possibility of hazardous materials burning. - Videos from The Weather Channel | weather.com

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yeah, East Palestine Ohio. About 25 miles south of me.

It was only a matter of time before something like that would happen. Them rail cars are like a tin can hauling all them dangerous chemicals...

I just stepped outside. You can definitely smell a chemical smell in the air. I'm thinking about evacuating... Like to Arizona or Colorado!
      Last edited by storm 64; 02-06-2023, 10:10 PM.
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Over the years I've heard people talk of all the stuff hauled on train through hundreds of cities, towns and villages .

Surprised this stuff doesn't happen more often, but glad it doesn't.

I guess for life to carry on as we know it, we must expect certain amount of risk.?

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
          Over the years I've heard people talk of all the stuff hauled on train through hundreds of cities, towns and villages .

Surprised this stuff doesn't happen more often, but glad it doesn't.

I guess for life to carry on as we know it, we must expect certain amount of risk.?
          Those are good points.

At one time Procor, a Canadian manufacturer of llquid-carrying rail cars offered me a job..
          While I did not accept it, I got a fully-detailed visit to their plant and learned a lot about their work and at how complicated it is.
          Apart from the manufacturing set-up and supply, there is a huge raft of federal and Provincial, plus USA federal and State regulations as the cars move all across the continent.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

Those are good points.

At one time Procor, a Canadian manufacturer of llquid-carrying rail cars offered me a job..
            While I did not accept it, I got a fully-detailed visit to their plant and learned a lot about their work and at how complicated it is.
            Apart from the manufacturing set-up and supply, there is a huge raft of federal and Provincial, plus USA federal and State regulations as the cars move all across the continent.

Not sure if I shouldn't have put " accept a certain amount of risk" instead of "expect a certain amount" ?

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

Those are good points.

With spectacular stops. r13d0054-photo-01.jpg

A lot of towns were born because of railways. Every major city is criss crossed with them.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post

Not sure if I shouldn't have put " accept a certain amount of risk" instead of "expect a certain amount" ?
                An interesting insight, as both are good words, and both have their place.

Today Political Correctness and the readiness of so many to litigate has created a situation where multiple demands for perfection come loaded down with secondary demands that they be amendable according to emotions of the day.

World reality cannot accommodate that, but the attitude is there, and it is growing. Part of that is seen in what has happened with the family of the girl who died on the e-bike

Much of what happens every day is not within human control, as we see demonstrated by events in Turkey and Syria.
                Perhaps those events will lead to more restrictions on the manufacture of e-bikes....who knows, as repercussions tend to go wildly away from initial events.

We can see the news but only guess how far the repercussions will range across the world.as this is happening while Turkey is a key factor in coming UN membership agreements and Turkey is also the gateway for the Russia's black Sea fleet, and Ukraine's ports for wheat exports......so we have moved a long way away from the families and businesses directly affected by the quake itself.

Last edited by argonsagas; 02-07-2023, 11:00 PM.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Had to wait on a train this morning on way to job site that was hauling military stuff. Mostly transport vehicles and trailers, dozen or so humvees and dozen or so cannons LOL for lack of better description.

I wondered what the people around job site and this small town would say because in the past no matter where I was, people would automatically start talking about upcoming war.

And this time was no exception, heard everything from the balloon was the final straw to russia/china invasion through Alaska??

This stuff on yhis particular train this morning looked like the old stuff that sat for decades at my previous towns national guard place??

Comment

Wheel bearings can go bad...overheat.....and problems result.
                    I have had no problems recently, but did on have them go on older cars several times.
                    One was not my car but a loaner while my own was in the shop for repairs..
                    My own car was in the shop for repairs and I was driving a customer service
                    It began to screech as it got hot, and lasted only perhaps two minutes before locking up totally.
                    It was not my fault, however the owner was not happy as he had to tow it home, which was close to forty miles.

Wheel bearing failure created a more significant problem in the instance linked here:

Comment

In Ohio the sage continues:going downhill

Comment

Lets see, major Train wreck on Feb. 3, pretty big story. Today, Feb 14, and it seems this story just keeps getting bigger.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                        X