Airbnb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbnb

Just now looking into this option and wondering if anyone here has used Airbnb and has any experiences to share about it?

Originally posted by trent View Post
    Just now looking into this option and wondering if anyone here has used Airbnb and has any experiences to share about it?
    Which side are you looking into, property ownership or simply staying at an Airbnb?

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post

Which side are you looking into, property ownership or simply staying at an Airbnb?
      I'll admit I didn't read much about it on their website.

Thought about both sides of it , but mainly as a guest ,

Sorry, I should have specified that thanks

Kinda just wondering about it versus just getting hotel room

Comment

I think Brendan W stayed in one when he visited Vancouver . He had asked me about places to stay and I was unable to find one at a reasonable rate . I can't remember what he said the cost was but it was a Hell of a lot less than a downtown hotel and he was still in the West End ......
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

I like Vacasa for week long house trips. I think a lot of the nightly AirBnB places are sub-par when it comes to cleanliness, weekly rental places tend to be more higher end and cleaner.

My preference for a night or two is a nice hotel.

On the ownership end, there are many places that are clamping down on the AirBnB model, some places outlawing it all together. I have heard of several instances where investors didn't do their homework and ended up regretting their investment.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            I think Brendan W stayed in one when he visited Vancouver . He had asked me about places to stay and I was unable to find one at a reasonable rate . I can't remember what he said the cost was but it was a Hell of a lot less than a downtown hotel and he was still in the West End ......
            From looking at some listing in my home town, rates and location seem to be great, compared to hotel.

I stay in different places sometimes week at a time for work and if I can travel home Friday and back Sunday or early very early monday...I'm usually not more than five- six hour drive from home

I don't wanna feel like I'm sleeping on a strangers couch while their sitting next to me watching horror movies on Netflix and eating popcorn

LOL
            Last edited by trent; 02-07-2023, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I like Vacasa for week long house trips.

On the ownership end, there are many places that are clamping down on the AirBnB model, some places outlawing it all together. I have heard of several instances where investors didn't do their homework and ended up regretting their investment.
              Have to check out VACASA, heard about it but forgot.

I remember now stories in the news about clamping down on airbnb...but not much lately.

Comment

Have to check out VACASA, heard about it but forgot.

I remember now stories in the news about clamping down on airbnb...but not much lately.
                It's a problem! Picture this: It's finally time for you to retire. You find a beautiful home in a quiet residential lakeside neighborhood......perfect and plop down your 750k for your last home purchase.......

But, you quickly find out the home next to you hits the market and is purchased by " Loud Party Rentals LLC......wtf!

It happens everyday and most zoning laws were not ready for this. I don't adhere to the " my land, I do what ever I want to with it " crowd.

Comment

It's a problem! Picture this: It's finally time for you to retire. You find a beautiful home in a quiet residential lakeside neighborhood......perfect and plop down your 750k for your last home purchase.......

But, you quickly find out the home next to you hits the market and is purchased by " Loud Party Rentals LLC......wtf!

It happens everyday and most zoning laws were not ready for this. I don't adhere to the " my land, I do what ever I want to with it " crowd.
                  I couldn't agree with you more!
                  In my quite neighbourhood (Cul de sac) I have a few neighbours that are doing illegal airbnb's in their suites (not hole house) we are not zoned for it....we have a very real housing issue here in Victoria. They could be renting these suites out to people who need housing. My wife and I rent out a one bedroom basement suite in our house. We get $1500 a month everything included. Newly reno'd Stainless Steele appliances, in suite laundry etc...
                  Just before xmas I noticed Amazon big vans in our quite cul de sac....turns out a neighbour was renting to them...6 guys staying there...vans in our cul de sac at 6am trading packages back and forth, blocking driveways, music blaring and smoking weed....lol....I and another 2 neighbours made complaints to the district and they came and shut them down. The guilty neighbours are people I know...I also have a couple of other neighbours doing it....strange cars in my hood...people we don't know....
                  My feeling are that it's pure greed from my neighbours....the amazon rental was getting $1600 for 3 days....a three bedroom suite...it's not helping our housing crisis in anyway.
                  The Victoria vacancy rate for 2022 was 1.5%....the lowest in Canada!
                  I used Airbnb years ago in California...won't do it again....like you said cleanliness is an issue....no real standards. And the prices have gone through the roof as everyone all of a sudden thinks they can be a "Inn keeper".....
                  In short, I despise Airbnb....lol
                  No signature :(

Comment

I almost bought a old farm house with a lot the size of three to four football fields most of it between road and house about 3/4 of a mileoutside of town, which I liked cause it was fenced in and good distance from the road...I past on it....year later the town is protesting and residents start a petition...because right next to the farmhouse someone was planning on building a very large hog operation and town feared the smell, matter of fact most people on that side of town put their homes up for sale....

But I buy a house on the opposite side of town...and the neighbors where great...until gal across the street splits up with her boyfriend/husband babydaddy..lol

And she hooks up with a overweight redneck rapper named pookie.

The hog barn would've been better, people would drive by just to look at the loud drunk sweatfest .

After a while they all realized that being a fifty year old rapper wasn't panning out in this small community and they moved...thank goodness cause I wouldn't have been able to sell with the mess that was right next door.

Gotta lov some of the neighbors

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

I couldn't agree with you more!
                      In my quite neighbourhood (Cul de sac) I have a few neighbours that are doing illegal airbnb's in their suites (not hole house) we are not zoned for it....we have a very real housing issue here in Victoria. They could be renting these suites out to people who need housing. My wife and I rent out a one bedroom basement suite in our house. We get $1500 a month everything included. Newly reno'd Stainless Steele appliances, in suite laundry etc...
                      Just before xmas I noticed Amazon big vans in our quite cul de sac....turns out a neighbour was renting to them...6 guys staying there...vans in our cul de sac at 6am trading packages back and forth, blocking driveways, music blaring and smoking weed....lol....I and another 2 neighbours made complaints to the district and they came and shut them down. The guilty neighbours are people I know...I also have a couple of other neighbours doing it....strange cars in my hood...people we don't know....
                      My feeling are that it's pure greed from my neighbours....the amazon rental was getting $1600 for 3 days....a three bedroom suite...it's not helping our housing crisis in anyway.
                      The Victoria vacancy rate for 2022 was 1.5%....the lowest in Canada!
                      I used Airbnb years ago in California...won't do it again....like you said cleanliness is an issue....no real standards. And the prices have gone through the roof as everyone all of a sudden thinks they can be a "Inn keeper".....
                      In short, I despise Airbnb....lol
                      Speaking of housing.....
                      Residents of three Moncton apartment buildings have been told they're not allowed to help the growing number of homeless people in the city because, their landlord claims, those people are choosing to stay on the streets.

what do your neighbour's think of your biker gatherings. blocking driveways, music blaring and smoking weed
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I almost bought a old farm house with a lot the size of three to four football fields most of it between road and house about 3/4 of a mileoutside of town, which I liked cause it was fenced in and good distance from the road...I past on it....year later the town is protesting and residents start a petition...because right next to the farmhouse someone was planning on building a very large hog operation and town feared the smell, matter of fact most people on that side of town put their homes up for sale....

But I buy a house on the opposite side of town...and the neighbors where great...until gal across the street splits up with her boyfriend/husband babydaddy..lol

The hog barn would've been better, people would drive by just to look at the loud drunk sweatfest .

After a while they all realized that being a fifty year old rapper wasn't panning out in this small community and they moved...thank goodness cause I wouldn't have been able to sell with the mess that was right next door.

Well one way to clear out a neighbor is to raise pigs. If a legit agricultural endeavor you can't be stopped.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Speaking of housing.....
                          https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...less-1.6738981

what do your neighbour's think of your biker gatherings. blocking driveways, music blaring and smoking weed
                          Lol my neighbours know me and some even attend. Have you not seen the pics of little kids on their bikes riding up and down in my driveway? I’m the guy that builds Tobaggon runs in my driveway when we get snow. I’m also the guy that clears snow from 5 of my neighbours driveways when we get snow.
                          Im the guy that looks out for my neighbours.
                          And the guys that come to my house are very respectful and there is no weed smoking happening.
                          Man I try to like you but you sure act like an A Hole.
                          Nice try though. I’m sorry you don’t have as many friends as me that want to spend time with me. Sucks to be you I guess.
                          But if you’re ever in Victoria you like anyone here is always welcome at my house.
                          btw…I’m will to bet you don’t even know your neighbours. I know personally at least 20 on my street.
                          I grew up in a small village that valued knowing your neighbours. As the saying goes “It takes a village..”
                          Last edited by trevor; 02-07-2023, 03:37 PM.
                          No signature :(

Comment

I live in a town of 35,000, certainly not a city. Our local government isn't very good at controlling the " I do what I want with my land " crowd. I would love to post some pictures, but that can get you in trouble!

Comment

I live in a town of 35,000, certainly not a city. Our local government isn't very good at controlling the " I do what I want with my land " crowd. I would love to post some pictures, but that can get you in trouble!
                              The place or town I was referring to was my previous home. They pride themselves as the "I do what I what " town .

They allow burning anything anytime and absolutely no noise ordinance .

There also was a band that practiced in a garage a block away, and they'd be thumping my house on any given night until one-two in the morning.

I don't know how the people who lived right next to that dealt with it.

I'm all about loud rock bands, have a few friends in bands and I've been to a few of their practices....but they are in a place where their not bothering anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X