Gordon Lightfoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon Lightfoot

Surprised no ones mentioned the passing of what many say was one of the best singer/songwriter and Canadian to boot.

If you asked me to name a GL song, I couldn't. Just did a google search and I know them all! One of those singers that everyone knows songs and not the artist?

Comment

I saw him in concert here in Victoria about 10 years ago. I have listened to his music my entire life. He was a veery important singer/songwriter to Canada with success all over the world.
      He continued to tour right up till his death.
      https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...dead-1.6828991
      One of my favorite songs of his, and there are many was Sundown

No signature

Comment

fantastic voice
        that's another missing element in today's offerrings ... those distinct voice timbres

his was stellar
        1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

The Edmund Fitzgerald was the one I remembered as his. Then I punched his songs and remembered most of them, just didn't remember who's they were.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Like Trevor, I'm a big Gordon Lightfoot fan. My dad listened to his music when I was young.
            Then later my old girlfriend was a big fan.
            I saw him about 10 years ago or so. What a great show.
            I loved all his songs "Cotton Jenny" comes to mind.
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Like Trevor, I'm a big Gordon Lightfoot fan. My dad listened to his music when I was young.
              Then later my old girlfriend was a big fan.
              I saw him about 10 years ago or so. What a great show.
              I loved all his songs "Cotton Jenny" comes to mind.
              Here's good link this morning....

https://www.cbc.ca/music/gordon-ligh...DNm9InExaCjriX rnSqtZL6CEkPOHh2mDTJimUi6xkM
              Gordon Lightfoot's life in 10 songs

From 'Early Morning Rain' to 'Sundown,' we look at highlights of the songwriter's prolific career

No signature

Comment

check this out ... surely this is AI generated BS!!! grrrrrrrrrr ... along with the BLATANT click-bait title !
                chit's getting scary!

1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

I probably wouldn't have know about Gordon if not for a cousin of mine, he's three years older than me and started playing acoustic guitar in high school.

There was a lot of high-school kids learning guitar and instruments, mostly learning rock or pop stuff , but for some reason my cousin started listening to folk music, from the sixties..seventies

I remember some bob dylan , some John denver. Jim Croce and others...but when he started learning Gordon's " if you could read my mind" particular the beginning thats when i really took notice of Gordon, and the fact my cousin was getting purdy dam good at guitar .

Comment

Got in truck for lunch break..guess what's on...

20230502_113832.jpg

Comment

shed a tear sitting in a dentists waiting room this am when it was announced on cbc.
                      Lightfoot was awesome. A drunk who got his life back. He deftly wrote and sang about folks on that fringe. Its little wonder as playing taverns gives you in depth access.

rainy day people
                      song for a winters night
                      in the early morning rain

so many songs and he didn't write em all. I was staggered by his cover of "the first time ever I saw your face"

he altered the anguished lyric of "if you could read my mind" from "trying to understand the feeling that you lack" to "we lack". I cringed when I heard of the revision.
                      It was made at his daughter's request and though it weakens the angst it acknowledges that not just one person in a relationship suffers. So Kudos Gordie!

there's a 3 CD album on the nefarious pirate bay

1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The best! I inherited most of his records from my mom. I've listened to them all of my life.
                        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                        82 gs1100L probably the next project
                        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

The first memory I got of him came from a friend-of-a-friend who had parked in front of a townhouse on a residential street near the Ontario Science Centre, which was new at the time..
                          I have to guess the FOAF lived on the street, as he knew the residents, but when he parked there that day out came a very loud and angry man named Gordon Lightfoot who opened his fly and peed on the car.
                          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

On Saturday, while I was down in Bisbee, a musician set up at Electric Brewing. His first song was one of my favorites by Lightfoot: "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." Lightfoot's music has permeated all phases of my life, from early childhood, sitting with my older siblings as they listened to his songs to long solo motorcycle trips as pretty much someone at the end of middle age. So many deep, meaningful songs, so much soul in them.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                              The first memory I got of him came from a friend-of-a-friend who had parked in front of a townhouse on a residential street near the Ontario Science Centre, which was new at the time..
                              I have to guess the FOAF lived on the street, as he knew the residents, but when he parked there that day out came a very loud and angry man named Gordon Lightfoot who opened his fly and peed on the car.
                              He *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed on as he was *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed due to being *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X