Major minority rights change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major minority rights change

This article from CBC is about providing accommodation for wheelchair-bound passengers on Air Canada flights.
    I fully expect Air Canada will appeal the decision to a higher court, but until that happens, and then into the future if this ruling stands, it indicates truly major change is coming to an airline near you..

From CBC
    Maayan Ziv, founder of Access Now, said planes are one of the only forms of transit where wheelchair users can't stay in their chairs. (CBC)

"We can get on boats, on taxis, we can get on the subways and on buses and stay in our mobility devices. It is only when we travel by air that we are forced to be separated by them," said Ziv.

A year ago, she found herself stranded in the Tel Aviv airport because her wheelchair was broken beyond repair during an Air Canada flight.

At the time, Air Canada told CBC Toronto it did not meet its "normal service levels" while flying Ziv and said the company arranged for a specialized wheelchair service to fix the damage.

For wheelchair user and avid traveller Victoria Lacey, the ruling could have a big impact. She says her family has gone as far as switching vacation destinations to find a plane that can accommodate her chair.

Like Ziv, she hopes airlines will make it possible for people to board flights in their chairs.

"Having to stay outside of my wheelchair for the duration of a flight is very stressful on me. It's very painful for me," said Lacey, whose chair is custom made to support her body and breathing. "I do it because I love travel and I want to see the world."

Prototypes in the works

There is hope on the horizon, Lacey and Ziv say.

In June, Delta Airlines debuted a prototype seat that would allow passengers to stay in their wheelchairs for an entire flight. The prototype was developed with Air4All, a British accessible air travel company, and demonstrated at the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Germany.

The seat, which the airline says is the first of its kind, is a standard airline seat that can essentially be stowed so someone can sit there in their wheelchair, complete with an adjustable headrest, tray table and cocktail table.

Ziv says flying in a wheelchair will happen — it's just a matter of time and effort.

"It comes down to cost. It comes down to political will," she said. "And it comes down to recognizing that people with disabilities today are not treated fairly when it comes to air travel."
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

We have a Passenger's Bill Of Rights now. Time for them to bare their teeth and force the airlines to address the problem. I'm not sure how it could be done due to the limited cabin space on an aircraft without removing some of the available seating. But if that is what needs to be done make then them do it .......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

All of that is correct.

Viewed from an outside or public perspective it appears fairly simple to do, but implementation will be far from easy..

Implementing this decision will unavoidably have far-reaching consequences that will affect not just AC but the intricacies involved will affect almost every part of the aviation industry across North America.

Translated: with so many potential factors involved, most unseen by the public, it will be VERY expensive.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

One of the problems is airlines really only have one expertise. Bankruptcy law . Which gains them the sympathy of regulators. There is a genuine reluctance to make them spend money ...... With good reason . Very few have escaped facing bankruptcy. Sir Richad Branson when asked how to become a millionaire once replied . " Start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline " .....

Making an airplane wheelchair friendly is a nice thought but realistically I don't see it happening ......
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Again, you are right.
          The current mood of authorities at all levels, as well as the public, especially through social media, is appeasement for every claim, no matter how serious or frivolous.it may be,
          Because of that I think it will come, but it will bring with it significant expenses to the carriers, and that means all of them..
          Passengers commonly have no clue at all about how much is involved in just the ground handling of every flight and there is no much more that is also unseen.
          Because of so many new expenses and almost inevitable legal headaches, higher fares for every passenger will surely follow. .

Comment

Working...
          X