Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving on to somewhat modern power tools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving on to somewhat modern power tools.

I got my Christmas present early this year. A DeWalt packaged hammer drill and small impact driver.
    Brushless and LiPo and OMG what a potent thing they are!

I tried the impact out on nasty bolts holding in the blades of my makita power planer. Irksome and awkward with a socket wrench they came of without protest with the baby impact.

I have even taken to searching my ancient B&D corded drills and other tools tag them for the yard sale ice floe.

I do very little work about the house and none that my old tools couldn't handle. But the cord damn it and the chuck key missing and all that.............
    I seriously wonder how many lives have been saved due to prevented slip falls due to the advent of cordless tools.

I watch a lot of youtube it has replaced TV esque programming one particularly relaxing chan is Rainman Rays Repairs. His Milwaukee and ridgid impacts and ratchets made me check out reviews. Certainly if a professional can use them effectively then an occasional user would have few performance issues.

Owned by B&D Dewalt is. I recall years ago that brand being looked down on. Now every tradesman I see has yellow and black power tools.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Love Rainman Ray and the Wife Unit. I’m always catching my self saying things to myself like “poppening -zee-hood” whenever I pull the latch. Been using almost as much Brake Kleen as he does, lately. I should find out what kind of deal he gets on the stuff. Must buy it by the skid.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Procuring power tools is one of my many tasks at work. Dewalt makes solid cordless tools but the guys who actually use power tools every day prefer Milwaukee. I find that Amazon often offers the best price for power tools.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
        Procuring power tools is one of my many tasks at work. Dewalt makes solid cordless tools but the guys who actually use power tools every day prefer Milwaukee. I find that Amazon often offers the best price for power tools.
        Yes brand loyalty and being married to a battery and charging suite is hard to break into.
        DCF961 big guy: https://amzn.to/3Gva9PR6Ah XR Battery: https://amzn.to/3WgntywPowerstacks are quite cheap https://amzn.to/43odkCD, https://amzn.to/3pL0Ki15Ah...

crazy how specialized YT chans have become.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I have multiple Milwaukee M18 tools and a M12 reciprocating saw.....and a bunch of batteries and chargers
          Milwaukee brand name batteries have proven markedly better than any of the no-name ones I tried from Amazon.

Look for sales as the regular prices are EXPENSIVE

Home Depot-owned Ridgid tools seem to have the best battery warranty, but I cannot comment on the tools themselves as I have never used them.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I was looking into a battery operated grease gun like my employer has for us to use.....not wanting to spend that much on one just yet...

Looked at one at harbor freight that I was told to be very good....had to buy battery and charger separately...and they didn't have or carry battery or the charger....lol But you can buy them....cost as much as the grease gun itself....so I'll stick with what I got...lol

Comment

When my DeWalt weed wacker died inside warranty, I had to drive 20 minutes to drop it off at an "authorized repair center", and then wait about a month for it to be fixed. Then I had to drive back, to pick it up.

When my Milwaukee angle grinder died, Milwaukee provided a Fedex label free of charge, and the fixed tool was returned back to me in less than two weeks.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                I have multiple Milwaukee M18 tools and a M12 reciprocating saw.....
                I witnessed mechanic working on top of a grain bin drop a M18 1/2 inch drive impact twenty feet onto parking lot, I was sure it was totalled....nope hardly a mark on it and he's been using it everyday since, that was about two month ago

Comment

If I could afford as many Milwaukee tools as I have DeWalt, I probably wouldn't be riding a 40 year old Suzuki haha.

They're great tools for sure. I typically see Plumbers and electricians carry Milwaukee while us underpaid carpenters settle for Dewalt lol

I should say that my yellow and black tools have done the job for decades. Batteries used daily last a few years. By the time they wear out the new and improved lighter weight models models are out and its time to upgrade anyway.
                  Last edited by Burque73; 11-21-2023, 05:27 PM.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post

I witnessed mechanic working on top of a grain bin drop a M18 1/2 inch drive impact twenty feet onto parking lot, I was sure it was totalled....nope hardly a mark on it and he's been using it everyday since, that was about two month ago
                    That got a chuckle from me.

I had a 3/8 inch bit in my M18 drill sitting on the ladder beside me before I bumped it and it went off the ladder and it bounced its way down a flight of stairs to the cement floor basement.

It did not work when I picked it up but made small noises from within so I shook it several times and a few tiny bits of plastic fell out.

Then I pressed the trigger and it worked as well as before....and kept on working until it was stolen more than a year later..
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I have a regular corded Makita drill. I use it maybe 3 times a year.
                      My neighbor uses it also about 3 times a year.
                      Plug it in and it's always ready to go...
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I dont use such tools enough to reguire the more expensive ones.

Am still pondering this comment:

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . the yard sale ice floe.

meaning???? lots of stuff, slowly moving away in mass...???

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I prefer Milwaukee or DeWalt, but for access in difficult places, it's DeWalt all the way. Particularly, if I'm working overhead. DeWalt is usually about half the weight of its competitor.. Actually, I'm fond of Porter Cable also. heh
                          Last edited by earlfor; 12-07-2023, 07:28 PM.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have been a Makita hold out for years, out of about 18 tech's at my company we have 2 Makita, 1 Dewalt and the rest all Milwaukee.

I'm slowly moving over to Milwaukee as they are certainly better in my opinion, after using the latest Milwaukee 2904-020 Impact Drill it blows away my Makita in all types of drilling, wood, steel and concrete.

I will not give up my Makita Track saw though.

I've been using the Milwaukee Packout System for about 2 years now and love it.

Anyone check out Project Farm on Youtube, he tests lots of cordless tools and is very thorough,

2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

The rigid stuff is ok too...
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X