Invasive Asian Carp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invasive Asian Carp

These non native Carp are threatening the eco systems on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes . After trying several tactics, it was decided making catching them worth Commercial fishermen's time is the best option. They bring 50 cents per pound and are ground up to produce fertalizer. The pic is 1 15 hour shift's take from Kentucky lake, 19,000 pounds! The same fisherman has removed 231,000 pounds in the month of March. Hard dirty work, way to go sir!

Asian Carp by Scott Marvin, on Flickr
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Signs at most boat ramps around here, If you catch an Asian Carp, don't put him back in the lake alive, kill him, throw him out on the bank, etc., just don't let him live. (hard to imagine the animal rights folks aren't having a fit about those signs). I've not seen any here yet, but have head rumors of folks seeing them... Just my opinion, It's already too late, trying to eradicating a type of fish from a lake, after they're already in there, by catching them on a hook would be a lot like trying to eradicate flies, from Tennessee, with a fly swatter...
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Signs at most boat ramps around here, If you catch an Asian Carp, don't put him back in the lake alive, kill him, throw him out on the bank, etc., just don't let him live. (hard to imagine the animal rights folks aren't having a fit about those signs). I've not seen any here yet, but have head rumors of folks seeing them... Just my opinion, It's already too late, trying to eradicating a type of fish from a lake, after they're already in there, by catching them on a hook would be a lot like trying to eradicate flies, from Tennessee, with a fly swatter...
      They made netting them legal here, you catch hundreds at a time. I agree, using rod and reel would be like shooting an Elephant with a BB gun.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Yep, they've been in the Mississippi watershed for some time.
        they're trying to keep them out of the Great Lakes

Out here, carp completely destroyed Malheur lakes, so they drained the lakes to eradicate them
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Gotta agree with Phil, it's just too late already. In my opinion, if it's even a rumor, it's too late. I don't care how many you net, those eggs are small enough to slip through.

I'm not too sure I even agree with the concept of invasive species, or "unnatural" events. Is a termite mound a 'naturally occurring' structure? I say yes. And so is an atom bomb.

I know about the concept of sustainability, or nice little "equilibriums" that exist here and there for a few years, or a few hundred million. I know that those cute little kittys, feral or not, are decimating bird populations almost everywhere. And draining ponds might seem to work, but are we going to 'air out' Lake Superior? I think not.

Life will find a way.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
          X