Deadly lithium battery explosion & fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
    Here's one that's bound to drive your anxiety levels to new heights Rob! Sometime back a friend gave me a backup battery he was no longer using, it'll top off my phone a couple of times, charge one of my lights etc.
    Praise Bob you're all right! With friends like that, who needs arsonists?

I trust you've removed it from your residence.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Ya, I know dat. Aside from marijuana every day of high school and college, I never smoked. And I always put the joint down before peering down the six cells of sulfur. I did, however, develop a slight taste for battery acid. Strong and salty, my own sustainable hydrometer. Seven years of college down the drain!

Am I misinformed when I believe that most if not all chargers sold in the past few decades are fail-safe as far as overcharging?
      Nothing is fail safe, not even the space shuttle or nuclear power stations.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post

Nothing is fail safe, not even the space shuttle or nuclear power stations.
        The Space Shuttle - the most useless boondoggle ever invented by man. Mercury, Gemini and Apollo crews were all astronauts. Explorers of new things. Not a single member of a single crew of any shuttle mission was an astronaut. Well, a former astronaut, John Glenn, did fly on the shuttle. But he knew it was a p.r. stunt.

Low earth orbit? Been there, done that. Decades ago.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The Space Shuttle - the most useless boondoggle ever invented by man. Mercury, Gemini and Apollo crews were all astronauts. Explorers of new things. Not a single member of a single crew of any shuttle mission was an astronaut. Well, a former astronaut, John Glenn, did fly on the shuttle. But he knew it was a p.r. stunt.

It wasn't built to do grandiose deep space missions, rather scientific experimentation and heavy lifting to get things into orbit. Remember, getting to the moon really wasn't about what we'd find when we got there, it was far more about overcoming the scientific and engineering challenges that made the missions possible. We're still gleaning useful real world outcomes from those missions even today, bringing back a few rocks was really no big deal in the overall scheme.

The same problems that kept us from going beyond the moon are still with us today, mainly propulsion and radiation protection for the crew. We really don't have much in the way of viable answers to this, let Elon Musk et al foot the bill this time.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

There is one thing that can said about most vortex members, They are experts at going off on pointless.tangents and have the topic attention span of a gnat.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

There is one thing that can said about most vortex members, They are experts at going off on pointless.tangents and have the topic attention span of a gnat.
              Are you suggesting we should encourage return of Gnatt to be an exemplar?

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Nat Birnbaum? I knew him. (I worked with him in the sewer.)

Comment

More battery issues.

South Koreans hit the brakes on EVs after battery fires

Julian Ryall | 08/19/2024

Several electric vehicle fires in South Korea have dented sales as buyers worry about potential battery hazards. Carmakers are responding by cutting prices and trying to allay consumers' safety concerns.

A series of headline-grabbing car fires in South Korea are driving distrust of electric vehicles (EVs), in what local media have dubbed "EV-phobia."

South Korean officials met last week to discuss vehicle safety, and called on all car manufacturers to increase transparency and name their battery suppliers.

On August 1, a Mercedes-Benz EV caught fire in the underground parking lot of an apartment complex in the city of Incheon. It took firefighters more than eight hours to extinguish the blaze. Twenty-three people required hospital treatment, around 140 vehicles were damaged, and 1,600 homes were affected by electricity and water outages for a week.

In separate incident several days later, a Kia EV6 burned out in a parking tower in South Chungcheong Province, with the blaze lasting more than 90 minutes before it could be brought under control.

The cause of both fires is believed to have been the vehicles' batteries...more
                  Several electric vehicle fires in South Korea have dented sales as buyers worry about potential battery hazards. Carmakers are responding by cutting prices and trying to allay consumers' safety concerns.

1982 GS1000S Katana
                  1982 GS1100E

Comment

At least they're quiet fires.

Comment

Big fire today in NY. Dozens of melted bikes. Second fire of the year at that location.

Comment

Working...
                      X