Old And I Mean Really Old Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old And I Mean Really Old Beer

Today I gave my wine fridge and wines to a friend of mine. When we were unloading it we discovered two craft beers . Just for giggles I cracked open one to see if there was any life to it. The beer tasted was the Cannery Brewing Squire Scotch Ale a 6% brew .......Pouring it in a glass a nice head appeared which shocked me. And tasting it was just fine. Doing some mental math of when it went in there I realized it was at least ten years old .... I've always been told beer had a shelf life that was in the months not years .... Whodathunk ?

scotch_ale_bottle_small-new.webp
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Originally posted by bccap View Post
    Today I gave my wine fridge and wines to a friend of mine. When we were unloading it we discovered two craft beers . Just for giggles I cracked open one to see if there was any life to it. The beer tasted was the Cannery Brewing Squire Scotch Ale a 6% brew .......Pouring it in a glass a nice head appeared which shocked me. And tasting it was just fine. Doing some mental math of when it went in there I realized it was at least ten years old .... I've always been told beer had a shelf life that was in the months not years .... Whodathunk ?

scotch_ale_bottle_small-new.webp
    Probably enough carcinogens and preservatives to keep it looking fresh. LOL
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have a friend who is obsessive about food dates. Me? Not so much. I end up getting a lot of perfectly good food given to me - hey I'll eat that don't chuck it !!! Beer has a 'best by' date now, which is a recent addition I believe. It doesn't say 'expires'. OK, so it's not at its 'best' but it's still beer, right? Heck, I'm not at my best either. What cracks me up is to see a 'best by' date on some horrible (Miller Lite, Bud, Coors, etc) swill that never tasted good in the first place.

I have a strong immune system and use common sense and rules of thumb on what I ingest. Cheese? Cut the blue stuff off and enjoy. Meat? Give it a whiff test. You have to figure that they are giving worst-case numb-nutz scenario dates. Like, leave in the sun for a month type stuff. If it is in a dark place and at a decent temp, sure the taste may not be as fresh as new but beer is very resistant to pathogens. It's vintage!
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

A few yrs. back I was given a alum. can, that looked like a long neck glass bottle, of Michelob. A couple of yrs. later a buddy was here and asked if I had a beer? Yes, there's one in the frig. that's been there a couple of yrs. He Twisted the top, took a big swig, and spit it all over the yard. He should have smelled of it first, that stuff was NASTY.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Do you think that was because of the aluminum can instead of glass??
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Do you think that was because of the aluminum can instead of glass??
            I'd say it was Michelob haha. Glass is best though, and no light exposure.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

No clue if last longer in glass or alum... Just know it was the first long neck I'd seen that was made out of alum.... Never knew "is it a can" shaped like a bottle or "is it a bottle" made out of alum.?
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

As a kid (sixth grade) we found some unopened colt 45 malt liquor inside of an old delivery truck that was in a junk yard we haunted often. Anyways we all agreed it did not age well!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  No clue if last longer in glass or alum... Just know it was the first long neck I'd seen that was made out of alum.... Never knew "is it a can" shaped like a bottle or "is it a bottle" made out of alum.?
                  Did you ever wonder why you can't buy a can of pickles?
                  Last edited by earlfor; 07-21-2024, 11:35 AM.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

UUhhhh, no, never thought about any pickles, just wondered if that alum. container was a bottle or can.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post

Probably enough carcinogens and preservatives to keep it looking fresh. LOL
                      I wondered about that so I gave the bottle a good going over to see if there was any mention of ingredients. There wasn't ..... But I always thought the whole idea of craft brewing was to avoid preservatives .... { I don't know that just speculating } .....
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                      https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Sounds like something I've seen sold at ballparks.

What I love about glass bottles of beer: empty or full, they make excellent weapons.

What about glass bottles of soda, Rob?

Negatory. If you were drinking Pepsi, you wouldn't have the proper motivation for fighting.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Uh Oh, asking yourself questions is never good... Answering them is always bad !!!

Comment

I have an unopened bottle of house of Lethbridge pilsener
                            a guy gave it to me in residence Jan 1983
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post

I wondered about that so I gave the bottle a good going over to see if there was any mention of ingredients. There wasn't ..... But I always thought the whole idea of craft brewing was to avoid preservatives .... { I don't know that just speculating } .....
                              Lots of preservative in beer, I believe the most common one is...alcohol.
                              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                              X