Old And I Mean Really Old Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bccap View Post

I wondered about that so I gave the bottle a good going over to see if there was any mention of ingredients. There wasn't ..... But I always thought the whole idea of craft brewing was to avoid preservatives .... { I don't know that just speculating } .....
    The oldest one I have tasted was one I made at home.
    I had a box of 24 bottles that sat in a corner of the cold room in my basement for four years.

Like you, I was hesitant to even try it, but was quite surprised at how it turned out.
    I shared it with neighbours and everyone agreed it had aged VERY well and was considerably better than it tasted when fresh..
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post

Lots of preservative in beer, I believe the most common one is...alcohol.
      That's why George Washington lived so long. Water without any alcohol in it was very prone to bacteria; alcohol is a very effective water purificatier. Purifactionizer. Pacificator. Hold on, I need a few sips of water.

Ah......purifier!
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Old beer story.....

My ole neighbor, live on south edge of town, pretty much has a farm...he has an older pickup truck , 69 Ford 3/4 ton says he only uses it to go in the back 40 of his property to cut wood and fish a pond back there.

he took someone fishing back there with him about a year ago and they brought some beer and left it in the bed of his truck.

We had an old guy that would walk around town with no shirt on bumming people for smokes and alcohol, didn't matter what brand of smokes or what kind of beer or wine whiskey didn't matter anything would do. But he really liked the hard stuff..whiskey , vodka. but beer would suffice.

My brother in law used to bring over all kinds of stuff and leave about two inches in the jug and I'd give it to the guy, he seemed very nice and appreciative , guessing he was mid 60's and had been in and out of jail multiple times.

Anyway I'm talking with neighbor in his driveway and the ole boy comes walking by and ask if we got anything hard to drink...

My neighbors says """all I got is seven- eight beers that have been bouncing around in my truck for several months, that ougtta be hard to drink "":

The guy takes them, pops one open right there, but we were kinda surprised the guy didn't want two of the cans ,they had swelled up ? Not sure if they had frozen or it was from heat and bouncing around in truck ??

Only old beer story I got....

Comment

1970's...me & the fellas in my daddy's Oldsmobile going to Chinatown in lower Manhattan for some late night munchies. Sometimes go through Harlem to look at the burnt out buildings. Or cruise along the Bowery and look at all the men on the street. They were called bums and winos back then.

I rolled down the window..."how ya doing?" I said and offered the guy a joint. "No thanks," he said with a smile, "ya got anything to drink?" "Sorry," we said, and talked to him for about another minute. Just some good ole alcoholic - pot head fellowship.

Another week, another guy. "How ya doing?" I asked (he wasn't smiling). He stared through dark eyes and in the most gravelly, pained voice I ever heard said, "I'm in hell!"
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            1970's...me & the fellas in my daddy's Oldsmobile going to Chinatown in lower Manhattan for some late night munchies. Sometimes go through Harlem to look at the burnt out buildings. Or cruise along the Bowery and look at all the men on the street. They were called bums and winos back then.

I rolled down the window..."how ya doing?" I said and offered the guy a joint. "No thanks," he said with a smile, "ya got anything to drink?" "Sorry," we said, and talked to him for about another minute. Just some good ole alcoholic - pot head fellowship.

Another week, another guy. "How ya doing?" I asked (he wasn't smiling). He stared through dark eyes and in the most gravelly, pained voice I ever heard said, "I'm in hell!"
            Nice !!!

Going off topic a bit
            I was walking across town one day when I was 18, my car just lost it's clutch and I got it to my job and was walking home, hot summer afternoon...go through a parking lot , homeless looking old man comes out of some brush drinking a jug and ask me if I could spare a few dollars.

I said no and he continues following me and ask "how about a dollar?" I Said no and walked off.

This line of questioning went on for a few more times

He's gone all the way down to a quarter with his asking, says if he can't get enough to get another pint he'd settle for some coffee.
            I'm hot and pizzed about car situation, and kinda like a jerk say " I told you no I'm broke my cars broke, and I got a three mile walk..( mainly because I didn't want to ask anyone though) I should be asking you for money !!""

He reaches in his pockets with both hands shakes them and pulls out two handfuls of change and says "do ya really need some ? "

I shook my head no and went on my way, I'd say that guy had 60 70 dollars worth of change on him, lol

Comment

60 to 70 dollars? Them's big pockets!

I drove my '68 Camaro a few weeks without a clutch pedal. Point her in the right direction, put it in first, turn the key and you're off to the races. Stop signs and red lights will be very liberally interpreted.

Comment

60 to 70 dollars? Them's big pockets!

I drove my '68 Camaro a few weeks without a clutch pedal. Point her in the right direction, put it in first, turn the key and you're off to the races. Stop signs and red lights will be very liberally interpreted.
                They were big pockets, old suit kinda pants that were way to big for the guy...lol
                judging the amount from times I had thrown change in a big glass jug I had...I was surprised how much the change added up to when the jug was only 1/4 full !

I knew clutch was slipping and getting worse, that day I barely made it back to work with it.

I drove a 89 ford super duty, think that was the year...the "slave" cylinder broke and drove it across town to shop.

It had really low "granny gear" so if I did have to stop...the starter granny got me rolling again.

Co worker waa laughing, he would slam it into granny gear while it was running , no pedal and it didnt stall out..lol

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post

Lots of preservative in beer, I believe the most common one is...alcohol.
                  Hops act as a preservative. That's one important reason they're there.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Beer was safer to drink than water? When and where?

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
                      Beer was safer to drink than water? When and where?
                      Hard liquor has been safer than water in most places and at most times in history because people rarely boiled their drinking water. Unless you live in places like Flint, tap water is usually safe here in the U.S. now. Of course, NY City water has long been famous for it's great taste.

Comment

Hard liquor has been safer than water in most places and at most times in history because people rarely boiled their drinking water. Unless you live in places like Flint, tap water is usually safe here in the U.S. now. Of course, NY City water has long been famous for it's great taste.
                        Cholera from horse manure entering wells in Scotland. The boozers used tainted water and then outbreaks.
                        its tea and no alcoholic drink than ended choleras magic vector.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post

I'd say it was Michelob haha. Glass is best though, and no light exposure.
                          Vampires swear at the former and by the latter
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                          X