Lost Girls, a woman's view on ADHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Girls, a woman's view on ADHD

I found this to be a highly interesting read, all written from a woman's perspective.. She is a good writer, and very accurate.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

I'm glad she brought up Imposter Syndrome because that's what I was thinking until she made the differentiation. Unfortunately for folks like her as well as myself in my younger years, medical dogma suggests pumping people full of amphetamines to "treat" the symptoms. Believe you me, you really don't want a man of my stature and musculature running around amped up and acting impulsively! Discipline is key.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Discipline is something a great many of us, of both sexes, want little to do with.

I do not know if it is age-related, but it seems that with there being so much entitlement in the latest generations, work of any kind, including self-discipline, is not welcome.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
        Discipline is something a great many of us, of both sexes, want little to do with.

I do not know if it is age-related, but it seems that with there being so much entitlement in the latest generations, work of any kind, including self-discipline, is not welcome.
        There seems to be a complete lack of willingness to look in the mirror for solutions these days, probably because the cool kids find it's "easier" to assign blame than to accept it. Besides, cleaning up other people's messes creates jobs for those with the functional equivalent to an underwater basket weaving degree and as has become all too apparent that once you become an "expert" in one subject you become one on ALL subjects.
        Last edited by LAB3; 07-23-2024, 07:21 AM.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

At age 43 I was officially diagnosed with ADHD.....saved/changed my life for the better in every way.
          No signature :(

Comment

Yeah, kids these days. They've had everything handed to them, they're so spoiled. The don't want to work and don't know how to sacrifice to achieve anything. They just stayed glued to the screen, don't go outside to play anymore...

...Or at least that's what the old people said about the boomers back in the 50's and 60's.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              Yeah, kids these days. They've had everything handed to them, they're so spoiled. The don't want to work and don't know how to sacrifice to achieve anything. They just stayed glued to the screen, don't go outside to play anymore...

...Or at least that's what the old people said about the boomers back in the 50's and 60's.
              There is truth in that, however the comparison is inadequate as much communication between kids at that time was in person, and that was followed by telephone.

Kids never used internet, had no electronic games, no portable phone, no computer no tablets: all of those things did not exist at the time.
              Screen time was often limited by the local TV channels having only limited "OnAir" time, as well and RF interference or lack of signal was very common..

Today there is an almost monster-size problem with.hand-held devices for kids and adults as both age groups are often on their devices for ten hours a day, or more, and even more time may be spent on larger screens at home. My next-door neighbour has an overweight, under-worked, fifteen YO who has had a multi-screen game set-up for at least two years because his single mother thinks he is brilliant.

She has no problem rationalizing his inability to accomplish school work, even with the constant help of a tutor.
              She does not push him hard to attend school so he does not do it more than two or three days a week......and he is almost never on time when he does go.
              No worries though because our ridiculous education system fails no one, no matter how poorly they perform, or how incompetent they really are..
              He may never qualify for university, but he is guaranteed to pass his elementary and high school grades every year.

Comment

Working...
              X