RIP John Mayall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP John Mayall

The sad passing of another influential figure on the music scene, he didn't get as much fame as some but more than made up for it garnering the praise of those who where. Saw him once in Portland in the late 80's, damn fine stuff!

John Mayall, the Godfather of British blues, has passed away. He was 90 years old. His legacy spans generations of rock musicians in the UK.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Yes.
    He was playing stuff derived from American blues men in 50s/60s England clubs.
    didn’t attract too much personal fame. Apparently more concerned with playing in clubs, developing stuff from true blues, didn’t work with promoters trying to make “hits”. Had bands for decades.
    but need to mention all the young musicians that developed in his band(s), Bluesbreakers mostly.
    Most noteably:
    Eric Clapton.
    Peter Green (founder of Fleetwood Mac).
    John McVie, Mic Fleetwood.
    Jack Bruce,
    Mick Taylor,
    coco montoya
    And , I will add: Walter Trout.

Last edited by Redman; 07-24-2024, 10:43 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I remember buying this album (Empty Rooms) for 50 cents and a bag of some weird anniseed candy from my brother haha RIP

1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Dang, that's sad to hear. I got turned onto him when I heard his music on blues show on the local college radio station. I still have a few of his CDs on the shelf. I saw him one at a festival type of thing at the local Great Adventure (Six Flags).
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

A huge loss for music, but a long life lived well.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Sorry for the loss, but I'll admit I have no idea who he was.
            However, I don't know anything about blues.
            But I'll trust his importance to you all.
            Last edited by Baatfam; 07-25-2024, 08:00 AM.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

First time I saw him was at the Pacific Coliseum in the 70's . Johnny Winter was the backup band. The Coliseum at that time was for the really big shows like the Stones when they came to Vancouver. The last time I saw him was 20 0r 25 years ago in a pub a few blocks down the street from me.
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                Sorry for the loss, but I'll admit I have no idea who he was.
                However, I don't know anything about blues.
                But I'll trust his importance to you all.
                bro, you only need to know three chords (the Root, the 4th & 5th) and the Truth!!
                1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post

bro, you only need to know three chords (the Root, the 4th & 5th) and the Truth!!
                  Don't forget the flattened 7th
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

First, I would need to understand your statement.

Comment

First, I would need to understand your statement.

ask anyone on the street (who looks local) next time you're on Broadway (Nashville) ... they'll hook you up haha
                      cheers

edit: but prolly not the Hawk Tuah gal HAHA
                      Last edited by ptegsotic; 07-25-2024, 04:47 PM.
                      1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

ask anyone on the street (who looks local) next time you're on Broadway (Nashville) ... they'll hook you up haha
                        cheers

edit: but prolly not the Hawk Tuah gal HAHA
                        Well that still doesn't help. I may never get to Nashville. You guys and your secrets...LOL...

Comment

Well that still doesn't help. I may never get to Nashville. You guys and your secrets...LOL...
                          ok, well since you've asked ... the blues entails a VERY simple chord format (The Root, 4th & 5th chords) ...

So, if you were playing the blues in the key of 'A' for example ...

A is the Root chord
                          A,B,C,D is the 4th chord
                          A,B,C,D,E is the 5th chord

therefore, to play the blues in the key (Root) of A ... you really only need to know the A chord, followed by the D chord, along with the E chord (and then back to the Root (in this case the A chord)

get those chords down ... and you are off and running a la BB King.

It's that simple.
                          (now gussying up that simple format ... and you'll start introducing what is commonly interpreted as 'talent')

If we were to switch it up and decided to play da blues in the key of G (the Root) you'd need to know the chords ...
                          G the Root chord
                          G,A,B,C is the 4th chord
                          G,A,B,C,D is the 5th chord (and then back to the Root (G)

and now you're well on the way a la Stevie Ray Vaughn.

easy peasy Japaneasy
                          (now be sure to hook me up with backstage tickets ok!?!!)

1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

ok, well since you've asked ... the blues entails a VERY simple chord format (The Root, 4th & 5th chords) ...

So, if you were playing the blues in the key of 'A' for example ...

A is the Root chord
                            A,B,C,D is the 4th chord
                            A,B,C,D,E is the 5th chord

therefore, to play the blues in the key (Root) of A ... you really only need to know the A chord, followed by the D chord, along with the E chord (and then back to the Root (in this case the A chord)

get those chords down ... and you are off and running a la BB King.

It's that simple.
                            (now gussying up that simple format ... and you'll start introducing what is commonly interpreted as 'talent')

If we were to switch it up and decided to play da blues in the key of G (the Root) you'd need to know the chords ...
                            G the Root chord
                            G,A,B,C is the 4th chord
                            G,A,B,C,D is the 5th chord (and then back to the Root (G)

and now you're well on the way a la Stevie Ray Vaughn.

easy peasy Japaneasy
                            (now be sure to hook me up with backstage tickets ok!?!!)

Well thank you for trying...

I took some piano lessen in grad school, played the flute in junior high, and sung in the high school choir. That's it. You're talking Chinese to me.

Comment

Well thank you for trying...

I took some piano lessen in grad school, played the flute in junior high, and sung in the high school choir. That's it. You're talking Chinese to me.
                              hahaha then it's probably for the best you figured it out early HA

frankly ... being a lifelong professional blues player is probably really fracking boring tbh
                              (even the Stones are up there just going through the motions with multiple backing tracks playing vs them actually producing all the sound. Gotta be bored outta their friggin' skulls by now re the same tunes decades after decades. Just a money grab setting up future generations, yawn

but the early John Mayall stuff was quite influential ...

Clapton ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cujG_O4KA4&t=1s
                              1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Working...
                              X