Safe in Western NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe in Western NC

Almost a week later, Western NC is making it. I was at my hospital from 4am Friday until we could finally get out. In Hendersonville NC. Lost power, water pressure which forced us to shut down chillers and boilers. Totally an island as roads were blocked with debris and flood water. Was able to get home Saturday 11am.
    Home is east of Hendersonville, about 8 miles from Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. We were spared major damage at our house. Only had 2 trees down but they fell away from the house. Lost power and water on Friday morning and did not get it back until yesterday @1pm.
    We consider ourselves so lucky and blessed compared to others that had lost everything or their loved one or their lives.
    Normal power and water is back on at the hospital so we can support our community and those in need. Spending this week going around to our outlying medical practices to review damage. Heading toward Asheville is heart ripping. So much destruction. Hearing the stories from people of those that rescued others and those they found that did not make it out. This area will never be the same but we will be back.
    Born and raised in Florida and never seen such a storm, except Andrew. All of at the hospital are just putting one foot in front of the other and making it.
    Thank you for listening and please say a prayer for all those affected by this be it Florida, Georgia, South and North Carolina, Tennessee and other states. We’ll need them.
    Thanks again, Doug​
    Last edited by crag antler; Yesterday, 11:29 AM.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

In another thread I'd mentioned riding out the storm just east of Robbinsville, NC. Was at a National Forest Service campground and was told Wednesday morning that I had to be out by Thursday morning. Luckily I had been planning on attending a vintage Yamaha rally at The Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge and was able to get a room there.

Although it rained starting Tuesday night we didn't see near as much as what fell to the east of there. By Saturday the only roads out where the Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon to the west. Although we where told Sunday morning there was no way out to the south a few folks from the Atlanta area did manage to get out in that direction later in the day. Roads going in the north and east directions where closed down.

Both Robbinsville and nearby Bryson City seemed to take the storm just fine but with no Internet connection to the outside world the local businesses where operating on a cash only basis. All in all I'm feeling quite fortunate to have made it through without worry, wish I could say the same for the rest of the region.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Good to hear from you Doug. Man , it's always somethin ain't it?
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
      https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X