The BLJ: a brief history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The BLJ: a brief history

Probably all of us own, or have owned, a Black Leather Jacket.
    I know I did, and still do
    What is the history of them?

This article tells it well

Before the black leather jacket was reduced to another innocuous darling of the fashion world, it was an honored utility—a form of arthropod armor worn ...
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Nope, never owned a leather jacket. Too hot here to ever wear one.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Most of the northern bike clubs and those of us with real life experience got rid of our leather jackets decades ago, ain't nothing colder than a damp leather jacket!
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Most bikers around here wearing leather jackets are on Harleys or crotch rockets. I've had none of the three.... Not suggesting it ain't a very good idea.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Mr Marlon Brando type? Those are just butt ugly to me, always were. Anyway he was just a poser like James Dean and all of those 'bikers'.

I'd venture to say that with those weird lapels they are just stupidly ugly. I liked the simple ones you could get at the Army/Navy surplus, had a heavy-duty zipper up the front and one zipped upper pocket. Like this, as I recall through the mist of time.

Every time I saw one of those Marlon Brando type ones i though ugh, that thing looks like a dog's breakfast.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 10-04-2024, 06:18 PM.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            Most of the northern bike clubs and those of us with real life experience got rid of our leather jackets decades ago, ain't nothing colder than a damp leather jacket!
            Golly Gosh Grandma, this is a really big day.

Why, gee whilikers...now I can tell my friends I actually spoke with someone who has real life experience!

These guys sure do have me beat. I had to buy neatsfoot oil to make my old leather jacket waterproof and I gotta admit I never wore it when the....Heck, Grandma, I never even rode my bike when the actual temperature got much below 0F of more than 116F,

I mean......Goodness gracious, Grandma! I gotta wonder what conditions those guys with real life experience had to face.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
              Being a twerp
              The point being there's plenty of better stuff out there these days for protection than leather.

There's nothing sadder than seeing a 300lb office dweller going through a mid life crisis on a twin powered bike covered in fresh tattoos and branded clothing that'll never ride long enough to actually learn to handle, nuff said!
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

When I first saw the thread title, my mind said bacon, lettuce and jalapeno? eh

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I’d eat that sandwich.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

Being a twerp
                    Twerps has gotta have fun, too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/osr/comments/1boackv/has_anyone_ever_seen_this_before/

For a real-life experience you will never forget, try meeting one one of these:

Rain Bomb: Rare 'Wet Microburst’ Caught on Camera in Stunning TimelapseSubscribe to our YouTube channel so you don't miss out:http://bit.ly/Oc61HjA STORM cha...
                    Last edited by argonsagas; Yesterday, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      I’d eat that sandwich.
                      That works for me!

Comment

Does this guy ever post about motorcycles or riding? This is the closest he's come in years. Does he even ride, or just own a motorcycle? Maybe it's a kid with posters on his wall.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've often wondered the same, so rarely engage. I think I recall him selling a bunch of bike parts recently, but don't recall him ever engaging much about motorcycle related things, technical issues, etc. I don't mind, often posts things just as food-for-thought. Sometimes the threads go south into the vortex and I don't see them anymore. But, whatever.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The clickbait subject lines that almost tell you what the topic is about are telling. Like it's his personal blog or something?
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              Does this guy ever post about motorcycles or riding? This is the closest he's come in years. Does he even ride, or just own a motorcycle? Maybe it's a kid with posters on his wall.
                              Frank (the guy that hosts GSR) has given you a hint.......He thought that members who gave quite a considerable amount of help/advice to others over an extended period of time deserved a bit of recognition, so he put the term "GS Resources Superstar" beneath their names.

I do not post there as often now because there is so much information readily available through the search feature
                              And...
                              Suzuki still uses the letters GS so even though I sold my 1980s bikes when I switched to Bandits, they still have that designation.

Comment

Working...
                              X