Replace laptop screen ? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace laptop screen ? ?

Wife habit is to walk across room carrying her open laptop by the screen (then backing upto recliner, and falling/dropping into recliner). SOme times I see she is holding the screen by the edges, but sometimes has thumb in the screen. I had been warning/suggesting that that is not a good idea.

Well, now this.....

A big black spot and rest of screen messed up too. Black spot about where thumb would be.
    I can touch and poke around and get some poertions of screen to show better and other portions to be worse.

I would think that is a problem with the screen itself, not the connections, not the computer internals.

Is an Lenova, circa 2018. Was about the least expensive on at Staples at the time, so probasbly an older model then.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

I dont really want to deal with this. But I dont want to have to buy new laptop, at least not a replacement for this one (when the one I use is much older and gets bogged up often).

Did a quick search and I see there are some replacement screens for 60-70-80-90-100 bucks. But I had no idae what/which one I would need, nor how difficult to replace.

But, after extensive reasearch on replacing screen (3 minute google search and skim 2 or 3 youtube vidios), It was easy to remove the bezel. (upper two pics).
    Didnt really see any connectors to help determione which type of replacement screen I might need.

So did a bit more research (watched entire youtube vidios). Was easy to remove four screws, and dismount the screen, lay it on keyboard, and see the connector under the tape, lift off the tape and disconnect the connetor. (bottom two pics)

Got some numbers off the screen. Got model numbers of laptop. . . . . .
    Will see what can find.

ANy words of wisdom ? ?
    (other than to get sterner with wifey.)
    (I had also been telling her not to back into driveway/garage. And have recently replaced mailbox and van taillight assembly.)

>>later note: top two pics shown after I peeled off the adheasive cover from bottom of the front of the screen. I was looking for the connector. Later figured out that did not need to do that. THe connector is on the back side of the screen (lower two pics) under some transparent tape.
    Last edited by Redman; 03-02-2022, 05:54 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

definitely a cracked screen
      not hard to replace but fiddley
      also beware of touching the inverter board as it holds a heck of a charge and can cause your swaering to be heard through the IT dept all the way to accounting but not quite to HR
      Ive done a few dozen of these best was a guy who packed his car and reversed over his laptop case
      god we laughed cos the laptop worked perfectly and had no other damage
      people who put pens on the KB then slammed the lid shut alos another fiune source of billable hours.

youll jus tneed the part number as these things fit across multiple models but may have differing connetors
      theres probaby online salvage outfits that will help you

I did one that air canada killed and it was an 1800 dollar screen 16 years ago the guys manager was not pleased but hey not the employees fault.
      Last edited by Cipher; 03-02-2022, 04:00 PM.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Looks like you're on the right track!

If the correct used or new screen is available at a reasonable price, and you don't have to get into the hinges (replacing hinges can be a royal pain on some laptops), then replacement can be a workable solution. It looks like you're most of the way there.

I once put the carcass of a defunct laptop on fleaBay for parts, and it sold for a surprising amount to a computer salvage company in Taiwan. They paid for shipping and sent instructions, and about a week later it was back in the land of its birth. It died from a water spill, so the screen and lots of other bits were in good shape.

There are quite a few of these companies on eBay. Just make very sure you have the correct part; there are always a skrillion subtle variations.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

HP has a sprawling site called partssurfer for their offering and doubtless Lenovo has the same.

if you give us the full model and serial we can look it up for you then cross reference to get a cheap replacement.

OEM costs a huge amount generally because ompanies lease these things with the caveat they must be returned in proper working order.
          So things like this are an unavoidable gold mine in the IT sector side of their sales and leasing
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks guys.
            Maybe I should not continue to be amazed at the knowlodge here and the quick helpfull responces. But I am.

Lenova IdeaPad 130-15AST
            Model 81H5
            MTM (whatever that is) 81H5000NUS

Screen NT156WHM-N42 Ver 8.0

Comment

Lifetime warranty, Free returns. Replacement NT156WHM-N42 V8.0 LCD screen. NT156WHM-N42 V8.0 screens for your laptop or tablet for 49.99. Instructions, guides and videos to fix screens.

wow this is just a google link frst hit but it claims its new and just 76.99 USD
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I looked on aliexpress and prices are no better
                ebay seems useless presently
                any local shops about that do salvage?

Thats a pricy laptop so 76 is not bad
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I had already found some on Amazon and EBay,,, some that I had some confidence were correct, but not good confidence.

THen I found LaptopScreen dot com, har har kinda like LaptopScreensAreUs har har

Any way, they had part look up, I could enter the IdeaPad number and find a screen, and I could enter the model number and it givve a list of more complete numbers, including that complete MTM number.... so I selected that more complete MTM number, and it showed many detail pictures, including the connector, looked Egg-Zack-Tah-Ley like it, and had the same screen number. So I ordered it. Matte finish for $74.

>> Later note:
                  Ew, Cipher, now I see your posting/links specific to the version numbers.

Last edited by Redman; 03-02-2022, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Shipped......
                    Should have it Friday.....

Comment

Go to the link below and download the HMM (Hardware Maintenance Manual). It walks you through step by step. Go slow, take pics if necessary and watch for screws of different lengths. I haven't worked on these because I retired 5 years ago but Lenovo's aren't too bad to work on. I was their warranty guy here for years. Good thumb nails worked great for separating the cases or a credit card. You shouldn't need and special tools.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Thanks Sandy.

man, what good info here.

Comment

A few years ago, I bought a tool kit from ifixit. Had some spuds (little plastic pry bars) and small screwdrivers. This was when I tryed replacing screen on a tablet (that wife abused when got mad at it). That project involved use of heat gun to loosen adhesive (and I warped stuff enough that had to use ductape to hold case back together). But the tool kit has been handy since then.

removing the screen from the laptop was much simpler.
                          snap off the bezel.
                          remove four ittey bitty screws (don’t drop them on keyboard, will go between keys)
                          Lay screen down on keyboard so have access to the back of screen
                          remove tape from over connector
                          carefully push plug from the connector
                          and then all of screen is free…….

Comment

The wifi antenna is probably running around the screen, at least one leg of it.
                            Be real careful reassembling that it is not dislodged and gets pinched.
                            Those little scraps of seemingly random bits of tape are important.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                              The wifi antenna is probably running around the screen, at least one leg of it.
                              Be real careful reassembling that it is not dislodged and gets pinched.
                              Those little scraps of seemingly random bits of tape are important.
                              good advise.

I do see wire of some sort going around perimeter, (can see in pic of first post).
                              I thought maybe was for the camera (didn’t know had a camera) but it seems that wire goes past the camera thing without any contact (and the camera thing just seems like a chunk of plastic to fill the space). So, yah, that wire is likley the WiFi antenna (wonder how directional it is).
                              but, yah, good advice to notice that is stays in place and not interfere with location of the screen nor snapping bezel back into place.

other good thing I found: when removing screen screws (or replacing screws) is a good idea to open the top 180degress so the top is laying flat. Easier to handle screws, and if do drop
                              screw then it doesn’t fall into the computer hinge area nor the keyboard area (to, ah, ahem, think of some
                              random possible places).
                              Last edited by Redman; 03-03-2022, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X