1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch

Well tonight I took the clutch cover off to have a look at my clutch, and to take a few pictures so that my buddy Spyug can compare his setup to my setup.....

I have the push rod, the bearing, the actuator, 8 fibre plates, 8 steel plates, but I do not have the thrust bearing or washer since it's a 1985 model, so Spyug should not need it either, and should probably remove the one we took out of his spare engine.

I believe there is a problem on how the clutch discs have been put back in his bike, the steel plates have a smooth side, and one side is sort of rounded, plus the last friction plate I think needs to be put in a certain way, but I will have to check on that tomorrow, I read about it after I put mine all back together, and it got late to take it all apart again, I will look tomorrow and confirm.

I will try to hook up the system back up tomorrow and try the clutch lever and see if mine works as it should, it better as it did work before I took all of this apart....

I hope the pics will help some and if not I can take some more....

Comment

Bad Bearings.....

Tonight I pulled the bearings from the front and rear wheels, and was disappointed to see that I will need to purchase all new bearings and seals, I am not pleased about this, but better to be safe than to be sorry, 5 bearings in total, this could get costly....

Well at least the rims are ready for sand blasting now, so is the frame and the rest of the metal items, hope to get to blast on the weekend, if it don't rain.....

and I got to work a bit on a newer bike as well tonight, my neighbour picked up a 2008 Honda CBR600 RR, it was dumped by the PO, and the front fairing stay is all busted up, so we took it apart, he has parts on order and might have them by tomorrow, overall it's a nice bike, runs well, so a bit of cosmetic damage is not so bad, and can be easily fixed up.

and a few pictures to finish up tonight...

and the Honda

Comment

Wow, those are bad. Can't say I've ever seen 'em that bad b4. Sweet arse Honda! Where did that come from GK?
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Yes the bearings are pretty bad, but nothing a few new ones wont cure....LOL

The Honda, is a new toy my neighbor just picked up, it was low sided has a bit of damage to the front plastics, so he came over we took it all off, and the next day he already has some of the parts and put them back on, he ordered a new Puig windscreen should have that in a few days, I told him to change the brake pads they were almost down to nothing, he can then get it certified and be out riding...for a 600 it's got some pep to it......nice little machine for sure....

Comment

SandBlasting

Well, I decided to try may hand at sand blasting, went out purchased 3 bags of glass, not sand, each bag was 50 pounds, loaded up the truck with the bike parts and the borrowed sand blaster. Took it all to my sons godfathers place, he has a big shop and a big air compressor.

Well this crap goes everywhere, good thing I had gloves, safety glasses and a mask to cover the nose and mouth, I had sand in my ears, down my shirt, and just about everywhere else at the end of the day.....

So, a few issues with the blaster it kept on clogging up, seems it had crap inside from before, but I did get done almost everything I set out to do, forgot a few metal bars, but I can do those on the wire wheel.

I am not really happy with the end result, it feels rough, rougher than I expected, yes I used a fine media, well 2 different kind, really fine and fine, and it seems to have left almost like a pitting effect, very noticeable on the rims so I am not really happy....

Worse case scenario, I will take it to the place I found that will do the prep, and powder coat, might need to do this if I cannot get it to my satisfaction....

and of course some pictures....

Comment

I purchased a similar blaster. From now on I'm paying professionals to blast my parts...

There is a blasting cabinet at work that i'll do small parts, but large jobs are usually cheap to have done by the pros.

Comment

I am thinking the same, let the pros do it, but I had to try.....

So for 350 bucks, the place will do it all, and powder coat it all, I guess I probably should have done it that way from the get go, but I had to give it a shot....

I will still sand it a bit, grind it a bit, and primer, just to see how it will look, if it smooths out, it might not be a total loss....

Comment

The glass should be fine for the steel parts but for the alloy you should use something like ground walnut shells,they are much easier on alloy bits. I've decided never to blast at home again,to messy and I don't have enough compressor.Going to try the You Blast It outfit in Victoria next time.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Well now you know. Shame about the wheels. Will they be ok? its hard to tell just how bad they are but don't worry, we have spares.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      The glass should be fine for the steel parts but for the alloy you should use something like ground walnut shells,they are much easier on alloy bits. I've decided never to blast at home again,to messy and I don't have enough compressor.Going to try the You Blast It outfit in Victoria next time.
                      Yup didn't think this through enough, it is a mess, and a big one at that, and I might have pitted the rims, but I can't tell for sure, maybe the paint or powdercoat will be thick enough to fill in the divots....

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                      Well now you know. Shame about the wheels. Will they be ok? its hard to tell just how bad they are but don't worry, we have spares.
                      I can't tell yet on how bad the rims really are, I just kinda threw everything into the garage, and left it for now, I will get back to it in a day or 2, and see how bad I manged to screw this up....

yup glad we have spares....

Comment

Well, this is what we call "experience."

Re wheel bearings: You said "this could get costly". I haven't had to do wheel bearings yet, but I thought that this style of bearing was usually readily available from many sources and thus cheap to acquire? Are yours a weird size or are they just not as cheap as I presumed?
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                          Well, this is what we call "experience."

Re wheel bearings: You said "this could get costly". I haven't had to do wheel bearings yet, but I thought that this style of bearing was usually readily available from many sources and thus cheap to acquire? Are yours a weird size or are they just not as cheap as I presumed?
                          Ya well experience sucks, and costs money......

nothing weird on the bearings, just normal ones, but still gonna be about a hundred bucks for all of them, lucky me the stem bearings seem to be OK, so that is 2 less I will need to get...

as they say, it's only money.......right....

until you start adding it up

ohhh well I will get back to it in a day or 2, and see what is next.....send it out and get it done by the pro's, or see if I can sand and grind it down semi smooth, and hope that primer and paint will cover it up nicely.....

Comment

If the rims are that pitted than sandpaper will fix them up before powdercoat.

Comment

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
                              If the rims are that pitted than sandpaper will fix them up before powdercoat.
                              Thanks,,,,more work....LOL

just kidding, but your right, it just might need some elbow grease, and it all might be fine...

I will try a few things over the next few days, it's supposed to rain, so there is not much else I can be doing anyways....

Comment

powdercoat is quite a thick finish so hopefully you'll be fine

or, you can always call it an intentional "special effect finish"
                                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                                X