Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery and Lights

And on the 7th day.........

Well I am well past the 7th day on this one, but none the less, I picked up a battery yesterday, nothing special, and nothing expensive, but it has 12 volts, and for right now that's all it needs to have. Actually the reviews are not bad on it, something like 190CCA, so it should last me for some time, well at least a season...

I almost dropped a load though, yesterday I charged up the battery, checked it today, showed 12.7 volts, perfect, so I put the thing into the bike, hooked up everything, and turned the key......

NOTHING.....not even a spark....

Crap, checked the voltage, good, checked the wires, plus OK, ground OK, even ran a second ground, but still no life....

So I thought back over the months I have been at this, and remembered I took the ignition switch apart, to clean and lube, it was crappy, wouldn't lock and stiff to turn, so I took it apart again, and found my mistake, there is a ring inside and I put it in the wrong sequence, shuffled things around a bit, put it back together, and plugged it in....

Turned the key to ON, and BAMMMMMMM, the bike lit up like a Christmas tree, the fuel pump rattled to life, and I am happy....

As they say, Lights, Camera, Action.......

Well a few pics at least...

Comment

Progress is a wonderful thing. Looking good my friend. Now scape off those rims and get some rubber ordered. No time to waste.

Comment

Thanks, buddy......

I really have to stop putting things onto the bike, it's gonna get heavy, might need a few guys over to get it out of the basement....

Yup, off to the basement, and get that stripper working....paint stripper that is...

I am at least glad the electrical works, when it didn't turn on with that first turn of the key, my heart just sank.....I am glad it worked out, and I found the error of my way....

I actually got half of one rim sort of done, the crap I purchased is actually working somewhat...yay...

Comment

cleaning the rim

Spent a bit of time tonight with the front rim, poured on the paint stripper, let it do it's thing, and wow, the rims are actually turning out nice, this stuff is eating away at what ever is left on the rim, I did sand blast them, but there is still some white and black paint left, now it's just the aluminum....

looking good....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post

So I thought back over the months I have been at this, and remembered... .
            uhm... well done this...

i can never rely on my memory like that!
            GS850GT

Comment

Great progress! looking forward to the final!!!

Comment

Thanks....

And I have been waiting on you, so as I could get some ideas....or at least get some of your parts you don't need.....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                  Thanks....

And I have been waiting on you, so as I could get some ideas....or at least get some of your parts you don't need.....LOL

I have two small projects in front of it then its on..

Comment

cleaning the rim 2

Well spent a bit more time with the rims tonight, a bit more stripper, some sanding, wire wheel, and a dremel cut off wheel....

and I have clean rims, no tires on anymore, and ready for painting...

Comment

Attaboy. Thats what we want to see. Got the tires ordered?

Comment

nope, tires are not ordered, I need funds....LOL

I also have to see if I am going to mount them myself, or find a place to do that...everyone wants so much money.....so I have to see...

going to give the rims a good once over still, make sure I have them as clean as possible, and try my hand at painting them.....hope it turns out....

Comment

Clean_Gas_Tank

Well I washed down the rims tonight, leaving them to dry, and possibly try to paint them tomorrow, we shall see...

So I had some paint stripper left over, and decided to tackle the gas tank, and get rid of what is left of the PO's attempt at cleaning off the old paint. Well I applied the stuff waited about 10 minutes and just started wiping the stuff off, took a sponge sanding block, and a few passes of it and the wire wheel and the thing almost looks good enough to leave as is...LOL

Well not really but, it's lost all of it's paint, most of the rust, and is ready to go to Spyug's place to get a coat of primer, and some fixing of the small dings that are in it....

And as always here are a few pictures of tonight's progress....

Comment

Loooooookinnggggggg good lol, shiny, brian

Comment

Originally posted by harley10 View Post
                              Loooooookinnggggggg good lol, shiny, brian
                              Thanks.....

A little bit of BLING never hurt anyone...LOL

NO, it will not stay that way...

I need to wash out the inside, but not sure with what, gas ? and then do I coat it, it will stay in the house, until it's ready to go out.

Any thoughts ? Anyone....

Comment

GK, a mild but effective tank flush is vinegar.
                                A gallon of vinegar plus how ever much water to fill it up and let it sit for a day. If it is just a cleaning you are after, an occasional slosh will help.
                                A good rinse with warm water and baking soda or TSP and you should be good.
                                You can dump the vinegar down the drain and then head to Hutchs' because you will have a hankering for fish and chips.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X