1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
    Are you going to fill in the "YAMAHA" on the crank side cover in silver or ?
    I was contemplating to do it in the Yamaha Gold, but since there is no gold on the bike, I believe I will do it in a silver, and the letters on top of the valve cover as well....

Just to stay consistent....

but honestly I don't know for certain...

Comment

new grips

Well my order finally came in from the Yamaha Dealer, and not only did my O rings show up for the cooling system but so did my OEM grips and throttle body...

And they fit perfectly, no gaps, and appear to be comfortable...

Comment

Signals

Well had to do something about the turn signals, they need a bit of painting as well, so a bit of sanding and some bumper paint and bamm they look almost new.....

blacked out the rear tail light as well, it looks black but when the brake is applied the red come through.....

and the covers for the brake calipers were touched up as well....

might black out the turn signals as well, just haven't gotten that far...

not bad for a bit of work....

Comment

Lights are working

Well all the lighting is squared away....

Turn signals, brake light yes it goes brighter when the brakes are applied, and my HID headlight, just have to aim it correctly and all will be fine...

Dash lights are stock for now but I do have some LED's on order...

Comment

Engine 2

Well got the engine the right way on the stand, painted the rest that was not accessible earlier, put back on the alternator, the water pump, cleaned up the valve cover bolts, touched up here and there, and she is ready to be put back into the bike....

Now I just have to get the bike out of the basement and into the garage...

Comment

Looking at the weather for the next couple days i would leave it indoors. Somebody lied about this Spring business.
              Those handlebars are wide. It should be easy to muscle the bike around.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Your probably right...and I am in no rush....lots of time still, and still other things to do and get done...

painting of the tins

ordering of tires

and a few other bits....

but it would be nice to have it in the garage and fire her up.....

and the bike will fit up the stairs no problems....I measured the width and it's good to go....

Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Plastics getting repaired...

Well while I am at work, my buddy Spyug in his spare time is doing some work on the side covers for me.....and he is doing a great job so far....

here is his handy work as of tonight....

soon it will be covered in primer and ready for me to paint and mount on the bike....

Comment

In the Garage

Well after many months in the basement, it was time for the whole thing to be taken into the garage.......

Empty basement, and a fuller garage

Now the fun stuff begins....

Comment

Hooray says the "boss" its out of my basement, finally! I'll bet she is happy.

Now where did you put that engine? Lost it already?

Looking good man!

Comment

Back on 2....

Well I have actually been sick for the better part of now 2 weeks, I tweaked my back, probably a pinched nerve and just as that went away I come down with some friggen flu, cold, etc......body aches all over, head hurts, muscle's hurt, even my hair hurts.....

but I mustered up some strength today, called a couple of buddies to help, I supervised, they actually did the work for me, I basically watched and gave my support, and beers......

And in no time flat the rear wheel was on, the forks were on, the front tire was on, and she is holding her own......

YAY...........

now I can once I am back to full health tackle the job of actually getting the engine back in, and the way this bike is setup, I just might not need help, but I will have a few buddies around, just in case......

Well as she sits......the rims and tires are just borrowed, mine are still in the basement, the rims, and the tires I still have to order

Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Lookin good . Do you think think you will have her ready ready for for this summer?

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                            Lookin good . Do you think think you will have her ready ready for for this summer?
                            that is the plan for sure.......

just see the next thread.....

LOL

Comment

Engine Installed

Well the mill is back in, and I am getting ever so close......

A bit of a set back, had to remove the radiator and hoses, and a few covers but that will only add another little bit of time for final reassembly, so no big deal....

once the rad was out of the way it actually only took about 20 minutes to line up the holes and pop in the retaining bolts, a very easy engine to install...

Had my buddy help me, I didn't want anything falling over and or scratching up my paint....and I will say, not a single scratch on anything anywhere, I was so happy, we sat for the next 45 minutes drinking beer and smoking cigars....

all in all a job well done

now I need to button everything up, and turn her over, if she runs, I will order tires and a chain, bleed the brakes, make sure all the nuts and bolts are torqued, get my tins from Spyug and get her on the road.....

It's going to be a change from the GS, I just hope this one doesn't disappoint...

well a few pics.....

Comment

Wow, there's a lot of stuff going on there! Dense pack. Looking good...except for that All Balls sticker.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X