Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when I think i'm out, they drag me back in.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when I think i'm out, they drag me back in.....

1973 Kawasaki H1. It's surprisingly complete, but the strange is the fact it has a 1974 dated engine. I've actually been looking for one of these for quite some time but they seem to be either $500 clapped out "bikes in a box", or $7000 mint restored ones. Bought this barn find off a guy I raced motocross with back in the mid 80's. At this time I just don't have the funds to do a true OEM restoration and honestly i'm not really a 70's vintage chrome type guy. I'm thinking a "mild" restoration with some matte black instead of chrome. Engine has good compression, but no spark. Needs a lot of cosmetics top be a nice bike again. I see some signs of bubba work but not too much.

Last edited by Road_Clam; 05-09-2016, 02:25 PM.
    '06 HD Fatboy
    '84 GPz1100

I have to disagree with you. It needs but one thing to be a nice bike again - to run well.

Please don't alter the look. Know that unless you plan to keep it forever, any mods that are not easily reversible, particularly cosmetic, will greatly reduce it's value.

Arguably the first superbike.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Wash it, wax it, and ride it just as it is is the way to go. Dont mess with it AT ALL and it will fetch the bigger buck than if you tried to restore anything.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

These came of age as I did, but I never rode one. I have been studying them from time to time.
        From what I just read about how they handle from a test rider, they're built to high side you on any fast corner.
        Then it's as loud as 3 trail bikes at every stop light.
        Me, I'd have to engineer all those handling issues out if it, and that looks like a challenging project.
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-09-2016, 07:34 PM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          These came of age as I did, but I never rode one. I have been studying them from time to time.
          From what I just read about how they handle from a test rider, they're built to high side you on any fast corner.
          Then it's as loud as 3 trail bikes at every stop light.
          Me, I'd have to engineer all those handling issues out if it, and that looks like a challenging project.

The chassis is a substantial limiting factor. The swingarm is bushings, no bearings. The chassis geometry is not the greatest , unwanted flex and so on. The sweet racy sound on these antique triples with a nice set of aftermarket tuned street chambers is like NO other ! This is a keeper. I have no intention of selling. I am going to have the bodywork professionally restored to the OEM metallic green. Beyond that, just going to clean it up, get it street safe, have some "badly rusted beyond polishing" parts refinished and just ride it and have fun. I did a faithfull OEM resto with my '87 GSXR and it costs a SICK amount of money, time spent seeking out mint obsolete parts, and now i'm afraid to drive it as I keep getting small dings and scratches. I don't have a garage so storage is a challenge. I rebuild weekly drivers, NOT garage queen flamingos
          Last edited by Road_Clam; 05-10-2016, 06:31 AM.
          '06 HD Fatboy
          '84 GPz1100

Comment

Brings back old memories, I had one, the same color and everything. My neighbor had a 750 Honda & he couldn't believe my little 500 would beat him thru the 1/4 mi. every time we ran them. He still brings it up every now & then.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Started the teardown and accesment. It needs a lot of work and many parts to be road safe. The very strange issue with this bike is the frame is coded for 1973, yet the engine and all electrics are 1974 ? I've been having a very confusing time identifying this situation. The members over at http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/ have been a HUGE help. I'm more of an early 80's 4 stroke / 4 cyl. type guy, i'm very "green" with 2T Triples !

'06 HD Fatboy
              '84 GPz1100

Comment

I had a couple of friends that had these back in the day. After hearing them talk about the torque, they scared the crap out of me. The last thing I wanted was to flip one over. 4 strokes seemed a better bet for me. Good luck and I definitely want to see it finished.
                https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

COOL! I love it. Member Joe H restored a kawi 750 last year, though his is highly modified.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Good find. I owned and raced an earlier version back in the day. Drags and roadrace too. By the time that version was made they weren't selling as well as they had so i'm not surprised at the numbers being odd, the frame could well have been previous year's stock being used up. I've seen a couple of others like that. I suspect here in NZ we got either the first produced in the year or the scrapings of the previous years build.
                    Your biggest problems if you want to go original will be pipes and airbox..as I'm sure you already know.
                    Personally, I'd put pipes and pods on it and leave most of the cosmetics as is but cleaned...As it could have been built in the day and perhaps discovered like that.
                    I'd really recommend going through the motor. They aren't that hard to do and it will almost certainly need seals.
                    The ignition should be straightforward - just a bit costly. there are several people supplying replacements.

Have fun, by the time that was sold most of the handling issues were solved.

Comment

My brother had that bike, it was a 74.

I have a friend who knows everything and everyone when it comes to restoring triples, he has mint 500 and 750s in every paint scheme from every year, I think that's 23, plus more parts than you can imagine
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Im guessing this guy Road_Clam is the old forum member with the sweet EZ 1100. Hey Rich ! Welcome back. I use to follow your threads and enjoy your NE camaraderie with Jethro and Doug aka crag antler.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Just noticed that mirror situation!
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                            Im guessing this guy Road_Clam is the old forum member with the sweet EZ 1100. Hey Rich ! Welcome back. I use to follow your threads and enjoy your NE camaraderie with Jethro and Doug aka crag antler.

That would be me
                            '06 HD Fatboy
                            '84 GPz1100

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                              Good find. I owned and raced an earlier version back in the day. Drags and roadrace too. By the time that version was made they weren't selling as well as they had so i'm not surprised at the numbers being odd, the frame could well have been previous year's stock being used up. I've seen a couple of others like that. I suspect here in NZ we got either the first produced in the year or the scrapings of the previous years build.
                              Your biggest problems if you want to go original will be pipes and airbox..as I'm sure you already know.
                              Personally, I'd put pipes and pods on it and leave most of the cosmetics as is but cleaned...As it could have been built in the day and perhaps discovered like that.
                              I'd really recommend going through the motor. They aren't that hard to do and it will almost certainly need seals.
                              The ignition should be straightforward - just a bit costly. there are several people supplying replacements.

Have fun, by the time that was sold most of the handling issues were solved.
                              The bike didn't come with the OEM exhaust, it came with Denco street chambers, and the airbox is missing. I have some Uni Filter pods on order. Who ever stored this engine did and excellent job. The carbs were reasonably clean, and the crankcases were filled with oil. A peek at the piston skirts they look to be in excellent condition. Compression is up around 150 psi, but the #1 cyl is a little low. I may pop off the top end as that's a very simplified process. I think your right about the 73/74 year issue. The bike looks completely factory and nothing looks to be hacked. If someone did in fact swap to a 1974 engine and electrics they did an outstanding job !
                              Last edited by Road_Clam; 05-11-2016, 09:58 AM.
                              '06 HD Fatboy
                              '84 GPz1100

Comment

Working...
                              X