V50 Guzzi re-paint ie: Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V50 Guzzi re-paint ie: Therapy

I haven't done a paint job since the green V7 Sport for Simon and the black BMW for Tobin last summer. The 40 years of sanding and painting took it's toll on my shoulder and surgery followed in November, followed by the freekin' heart attack in December. Months of rehab have finally gotten me to the point where I'm gonna give this a shot. It's for my good friend, Jim. He's been an avid Italian and British collector bike fiend every since I met him almost 20 years ago. I've painted several of his bikes and am looking forward to this one, too. Not sure what year it is..mid-70's I'm thinking..I'll have to ask next time I talk to him. Here's what a finished one looks like.

This is what $850 worth of quality PPG materials looks like..argh.

Parts to do..tank, side covers, gas fill cover, fenders, and tail section..oh, and I thought, what the hell I may as well get this factory S fairing I got from Rich repaired and re-painted too. The one on mine is an aftermarket one. It came with the original windscreen, and even all the correct screws.

The tank and metal rear fender were soda blasted. Thanks Jim. But all the old filler will need to go. Start fresh, and no future problems.

Last edited by nvr2old; 06-01-2019, 07:35 PM.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Slather on some filler..

And sand..

Last edited by nvr2old; 06-01-2019, 07:37 PM.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Such gorgeous little machines!
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

These parts are in really good shape for being 40+ years old. 4 hrs. of straitening filling and sanding turned out really well. I'll start on plastic parts repair next week. Both the Guzzi fairing and tail section have breaks and cracks. As does the S fairing.

That's it for today..my shoulder is killing me..but it's a good pain..
        Last edited by nvr2old; 06-01-2019, 07:37 PM.
        1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I'm subscribing to this thread. I don't want to miss a thing.
          https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
          1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Thanks, man. I hope it's worthy of your attention. I couldn't do any of this w/o the kindness of the owner of Route 66, a body shop here in Sandpoint. He gave me a key after only knowing me for a couple of days. The paint booth is amazing. So very grateful.
            1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Ah another Larry paint thread, wouldn't miss it for the world! I have a big soft spot for those Guzzi's also...

I didn't realise you've been through some health issues Larry, so it's great to see you're through the other side and recovered, hopefully some smooth sailing now!
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post

These parts are in really good shape for being 40+ years old. 4 hrs. of straitening filling and sanding turned out really well. I'll start on plastic parts repair next week. Both the Guzzi fairing and tail section have breaks and cracks. As does the S fairing.

That's it for today..my shoulder is killing me..but it's a good pain..
                An interesting form of physio-therapy. haha.
                Looking forward to the process.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'll be following this thread. Looking for detail tips.
                  Bill
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Ah another Larry paint thread, wouldn't miss it for the world! I have a big soft spot for those Guzzi's also...

I didn't realise you've been through some health issues Larry, so it's great to see you're through the other side and recovered, hopefully some smooth sailing now!
                    Thanks, Pete. I mentioned the shoulder surgery and heart attack in the Campfire, and got some great support from the members here. Shoulder recovery and rehab is something I wouldn't want my worst enemy to go through. The heart attack was a breeze compared to it. This project makes me realize how much I still enjoy doing it. Bill, I hope I can show you what you're in need of. She's gonna be a beauty when done. Porsche red with black accents, gold decal emblems. Plus, I'll finally have a factory fairing for my Cooley.
                    1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Ah ok, I tend to skip the Campfire, maybe I should keep a closer eye on that

Glad you got a bunch of support, this forum (like the Katana Australia one) is absolutely awesome when it comes to moral support with tricky situations. Glad to hear those are behind you and you're looking forward, colour scheme sounds good too!
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Waiting for update on your progress. Hope your health is much improved.
                        Bill
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Thanks, Bill. I'll get to work on the plastic parts tomorrow (Saturday). It's the one day a week that I can get into the shop and get some stuff done. I look forward to it also. It's still strange not to be doing this daily as a business anymore where I was working 8-10 hrs. a day on bike parts. More of a hobby now, and that's fine.
                          1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I went to update with photos, but flickr seems to have gone the Photobucket route and is now screwing up subscribers. Stopped right in the middle of my posts and refused to let me copy and paste pics. Pi$$es me off. Anyone recommend a different photo share site ?
                            1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                              I went to update with photos, but flickr seems to have gone the Photobucket route and is now screwing up subscribers. Stopped right in the middle of my posts and refused to let me copy and paste pics. Pi$$es me off. Anyone recommend a different photo share site ?
                              I'm using imgur.com
                              No problems, and it works way better than photobucket ever did on a good day.

Comment

Working...
                              X