No announcement yet.

V50 Guzzi re-paint ie: Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love your work as always Larry, really coming together nicely!

In my so far limited experience I've found masking is only second to prep work for tediousness and difficulty, especially like you say when trying to achieve symmetry side to side. That's one art I've yet to master and I've found myself taking tape off and reapplying several times both on the 450 and the Kat paint jobs, but it's most definitely worth getting right!

Can't wait to see them finished!
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Masking stripes and getting them symmetrical is indeed challeging, Pete. It took over an hour just to get them on the fairing to where I was satisfied..then getting the paper in place so no black got onto the red. All for literally 2 minutes worth of spraying. It's a great relief when it all works out, but drives you insane if it doesn't. I ' m glad I'm finally done with this stage so I can move on to the next. Decals are a bit stressful, too.
      Last edited by nvr2old; 08-25-2019, 01:13 PM.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Glad it's not just me then Larry and it gives me some comfort to know the pro's struggle with it as well

I've only done a few decals on the Kat and never buried them under clear at this point, but yeah the Suzuki letters on the Kat tank caused me some grief alright!

sigpic

Comment

Decal day today. Always a bit nerve-wracking. You only get one chance. Started by sanding all the parts with 600 and began with the fairing. I lay out a piece of tape to set them down on after measuring 20 times. Set the decal on the edge and pull the tape off.

I believe my friend Jim said this was an '80 model V50, and we know how '80's graphics always had laser lines and bright color schemes..this is perfect for that era..bright florescent orange. It was a bit long so it needed to be shortened.

It needed this gap to coincide with the side stripes.

Pretty cool looking. Clear is gonna make it really stand out.

The side covers were the easiest..just making sure they're the same on both sides is the only part that takes any time.

More or less just guessing where they sit from the snap shots Jim provided.

This one is kinda cool on top of the tank promoting the brake system. I never really liked integrated braking but it was pretty swoop-dee-doo for the time.

Layed a quarter inch piece of tape right on the body line for the bottom of the decal to sit on, starts right at the beginning of it. Made layout easy.

Interesting laser stripe on the tail section.

Last edited by nvr2old; 09-07-2019, 08:45 PM.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Those Italians don't want you to forget what kind of bike this is..

All decals done and ready for the second round of clear coats. Gotta wait for them to gas out, so no spraying till next weekend. The fenders are done and just need to be cut and buffed. Step at a time..step at a time..

Thanks for the interest.
            1979 GS1000S,

Comment

How long does the gassing out period take? Nice to have the patience it takes to get the results that you get. Beautiful work Sir.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Thank you for sharing. I have learned a lot from your series.
                '82 GS650G 27k
                '00 GZ250 5k "Pocket Hawg"
                ('98 GS500E 18k, new project - moved on to new home)
                '98 GSF1200 39k, new project, fixed the blown out spark plug, waiting on time
                '05 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750IE (the Pocket Hawg's days are numbered)

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                  How long does the gassing out period take? Nice to have the patience it takes to get the results that you get. Beautiful work Sir.
                  24 hrs. Is the least amount of time to let the decals breathe and gas out. They really settle down and 90% of any tiny air bubbles will virtually disappear. It'always good to open up clear coats a day after spraying it to also help it breathe and dry more evenly. 600 does a good job on that.
                  1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by SusKatCas View Post
                    Thank you for sharing. I have learned a lot from your series.
                    Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy sharing the process.
                    1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                      Masking stripes and getting them symmetrical is indeed challeging, Pete. It took over an hour just to get them on the fairing to where I was satisfied..then getting the paper in place so no black got onto the red. All for literally 2 minutes worth of spraying. It's a great relief when it all works out, but drives you insane if it doesn't. I ' m glad I'm finally done with this stage so I can move on to the next. Decals are a bit stressful, too.
                      Oh yeah, I second that emotion.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Decals look great Larry, yes, I also admire your patience! I've not put decals under clear at all yet so the gassing out period is good to know as I'm sure I'll encounter that at some point.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Pete. Your skills and patience have also come a long way. A look at your Kat is all one needs. It's almost wrong for me to call these graphics "decals" as they're not transfers but actually vinyl. Much thicker then what we used on model car building. They'll be difficult to totally bury under clear with no edges. It would probably take 10 coats to do that and it would cost a fortune. The clear is so insanely expensive... In the long run, though, it should have a nice factory look, and that's what Jim prefers. He once bought a 650 Matchless from me..or as he says, teasingly, "saved it from me" because I wanted to make a bobber out of it. He restored it beautifully back to stock. That was a cool bike.
                          Last edited by nvr2old; 09-08-2019, 05:39 PM.
                          1979 GS1000S,

Comment

I'm with ya' Larry, the Suzuki decals on the Kat are vinyl, so yes I know exactly what you mean about the thickness there and yes it would take a lot to bury them in clear coat alright!

A bobber out of a Matchless? Sacrilege!

The only issue I see with this paint job being a nice factory job is that it will probably be better than when it left the factory

sigpic

Comment

Back at the shop today to spray what will hopefully be the final clear coats. No sense wasting more clear on the underside of the tank..plenty there already.

Hung everything but the side covers, and after 5-6 coats..can't remember for sure..parts look nice.

I'm probably as happy about the inside of the fairing as any part, even though you won't see it after it's been satin-blacked and mounted. Let the parts dry overnight, open them up with some 600 and let them cure for a week before cutting and buffing process. Light at the end of the tunnel.
                              Last edited by nvr2old; 09-15-2019, 02:35 AM.
                              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Looks fantastic, Larry.
                                I sure hope we get to see the finished bike.
                                Also hope the rest of the build is as nice.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X