Thoughts on the KZ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an 8 hour round trip.

This one does not look to be the usual project, unless of course the engine is grenaded. I had emailed the seller & he said it turns over via the starter, so it is likely intact. After doing so much ignition research on the fuel injected GS1000 project, the weak link there seems to be the ignitor box. The ad said the coils were replaced a year ago, so they are likely OK.

The odd thing is there are few to no inexpensive GS1100G/GK models for sale, even in the usual places. I've been looking here & on CL and was surprised at the lack of results.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post

The odd thing is there are few to no inexpensive GS1100G/GK models for sale, even in the usual places. I've been looking here & on CL and was surprised at the lack of results.
      You know where there's one.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes, but it is outside the Shopper parameters of buy low, invest high.

Comment

It now has 2 bids from the same person, so someone will buy it, but not me.

Comment

so someone will buy it, but not me.
            That is probably for the best, now go finish your other two bikes

Comment

In my 40 plus years of motorcycling, I have found the high mileage bikes are the good ones. They are out being ridden instead of sitting in a shop awaiting repairs. Just my 2 cents. I don't hesitate to by a high mileage bike if it sounds and drives good.

Comment

What he said. I have never seen a GS that didn't work anymore due to high mileage.
                Due to poor maintenance, sure. Due to serious abuse, yes. Due to sitting forever, of course. And a few that were crashed too many times. But I've never seen one worn out, at least not so worn out a few hundred dollars worth of parts and a few weekends of effort wouldn't fix it.

I'll take the high mileage GS any time.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  That is probably for the best, now go finish your other two bikes
                  Things are looking up in that area. I finally found an OEM 1100G head gasket for under $60. I'm going to try a used ignition pickup and see if I can get a decent trigger signal.

I'll still need a replacement for the Sabre at some point.

Comment

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=65724
                    A guy selling a 92 gsx-g for $700
                    1984 GS550ES
                    Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                    4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

LOL probably cheaper than fixing what I have if it runs. Thanks!

EDIT
                      Had to join the site to see the ad- or so I thought, and then had to jump through some hoops to finally see the ad. The bike is in Virginia, likely $1100 total to have it here. I posted to see if he'll sell & ship just the engine.

"Needs an airbox". I bet he used a sawzall to remove the one on the bike, I saw the design while working on mine & thought you'd have to pull the engine to remove it.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM.

Comment

The metrics will run forever if taken care of.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

LOL probably cheaper than fixing what I have if it runs. Thanks!

EDIT
                          Had to join the site to see the ad- or so I thought, and then had to jump through some hoops to finally see the ad. The bike is in Virginia, likely $1100 total to have it here. I posted to see if he'll sell & ship just the engine.

"Needs an airbox". I bet he used a sawzall to remove the one on the bike, I saw the design while working on mine & thought you'd have to pull the engine to remove it.

Not quite but almost. When I parted mine out it took some ingenuity and a hammer but I got it out without destroying it and sold it to a guy in Finland.
                          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Nice bike once you curb dumpster all the fiberglass crap off it and make it a REAL bike again.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What's one man's wind protection & accessory mount/storage areas is another's fiberglass crap.

Take a read of Craig Vetter's site sometime. It's pretty cool with loads of old photos and info:
                              Craig Vetter, Vetter, motorcycle design, Triumph Hurricane, Vetter Hurricane, Windjammer, Windjammer parts, Vetter fairings, Vetter fairing, Vetter history, fairings, Triumph Rocket 3, Mystery Ship, mysteryship, Terraplane, motor scooter design, industrial design, Triumph Bonneville TT, fuel economy contest, designer, inventor, lecturer, flying machine contest, high mileage contest, Quicksilver fairing, snap-vents

Comment

What's one man's wind protection & accessory mount/storage areas is another's fiberglass crap.
                                Yeah, this man has got to have at least one of each.

Comment

Working...
                                X