Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission output shaft bearing play too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission output shaft bearing play too much?

Trying to decide if I should change out this bearing on my Katana. I have read and heard of stories of these bike blowing these bearings. Made a video trying to show the play it has, the bearing on the other shaft has none of this movement at all.

That's probably one of those 'when in doubt, throw it out'
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      That's probably one of those 'when in doubt, throw it out'
      Ya, kinda thinking the same way, just trying to justify spending $100 or so to replace it.

Comment

Replace it! I would do all 4 at the same time but I am just overkill like that! It's only 40 bucks for that one bearing. Merry Christmas!!!
        Ray.
        Last edited by rapidray; 12-25-2014, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
          Trying to decide if I should change out this bearing on my Katana. I have read and heard of stories of these bike blowing these bearings. Made a video trying to show the play it has, the bearing on the other shaft has none of this movement at all.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4uR...ature=youtu.be
          can you purchase an HD bearing with the same measurements?
          if so that would be my route.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            can you purchase an HD bearing with the same measurements?
            if so that would be my route.
            I probably could but it wouldnt have the hole for the dowel or the groove for the c-ring. I did a search over on Katriders and found a few examples of engines where these bearings have blown and taken the tranny and sometimes the cases with it as well.

Comment

I probably could but it wouldnt have the hole for the dowel or the groove for the c-ring. I did a search over on Katriders and found a few examples of engines where these bearings have blown and taken the tranny and sometimes the cases with it as well.
              yeah i had 2 89's kats that lost the cases with the bearing blowing a part.
              i know HD bearing are available for the 1100/1150's...the clip groove is needed but the dowel you could do without.

Comment

...where these bearings have blown and taken the tranny and sometimes the cases with it as well.
                Then why even hesitate to replace it... or better yet, all four?!

Comment

the problem is the output shaft bearing...i have seen them replaced with a brand new OEM bearing and explode again in a week.
                  this is a 1989 issue as far as i know.
                  i have had 2 customers with this problem(1989 katana 750)...one beat his bike daily, the other wore a back pack and used the bike for transportation only.
                  i would look for an HD bearing..

Comment

i have seen them replaced with a brand new OEM bearing and explode again in a week.
                    You didnt tell me that part.
                    I have read about it happening to all types of oil coolers, not just the '89 750's. Mostly all pre '98 600/750 as well as an 1100 (gsxr/kat Im not sure) that was dragraced.
                    I thought of buying a HD bearing and having the groove machined in it, who knows what that would cost, as it is I am delaying my rebuild waiting for the bearing for a few weeks to a month.
                    If its happening to kats I would think it would happen to the Gsxrs too, but I havent been able to find an HD replacement, the bearing shares a part # with some GSXRs and lots of other bikes.

Comment

i worked for a shop in 93 and one came in making noise(89 kat 750).
                      the owner installed a brand new OEM bearing he ordered from the dealership.
                      a week or 2 later the guy came in raising hell because the chain was loose and the bike was making noise under power.
                      the new bearing had exploded...things got ugly real fast...close to fisticuffs..face to face macho ****...lol
                      the cases was trashed this time.
                      the owner refunded the labor after a while of threats of being sued.
                      have you checked with paul gast/mark from R&D to see if an HD version that is a direct replacement?
                      if there isn't i would do as JJ said and replace all 4 with OEM and cross my fingers.

Comment

i can't believe i never thought of this.........
                        install new factory bearings and after the engines installed purchase or make a bearing support.
                        it would function and stop any future failures plus it would look cool as hell.
                        fixed..the end..

Comment

i can't believe i never thought of this.........
                          install new factory bearings and after the engines installed purchase or make a bearing support.
                          it would function and stop any future failures plus it would look cool as hell.
                          fixed..the end..
                          Sounds like the ultimate fix.
                          I had the new bearing pressed onto the shaft, look what the idiots did to it
                          Same on both sides.
                          Can I use it like this?

Comment

yes?
                            no?
                            maybe?
                            if i was doing the work for a customer i would say no because i only get paid once for labor.
                            that is an ooh booo for sure...
                            you are having no luck..

Comment

I picked up an almost complete trans for $60 off ebay, just need the shaft.
                              I was able to remove that bearing with a heavy hammer and a vice.
                              Will I be able to freeze the new shaft, heat up the new bearing and tap it on?

Comment

Working...
                              X