1981 Yamaha Virago carb sync question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Yamaha Virago carb sync question

I need some pointers on syncing carbs for this bike. It is a 750 cc and one I am working on to sell to a friend. Is there anything specific I need to know? I am using pressure gauges to do it. Anyone have a step by step how to guide?

Been a while since I synced the carbs on my 750, but fairly straightforward if I recall. Any other work on them was a pain in the a..e, so I ended up making a manifold to take a single carb. Used an SU from a Morris Minor car, much simpler and easier to work on. Do you have a manual for the bike ?, if not pm me your email address and I will scan the relevant section on the carbs and send over.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

This is a HUGE file as it covers many different CCs...

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am on my phone and sent a pm to tomo. This bike is not only being sold to a friend, he is coming with me on my cross country trip on it. He is now Active Army. Got out of training last week. We talked about this trip before he went in, and he hasn't changed his mind. The trip eta is July or August. He does not know if he will be deployed, but we are going to plan it anyway.

Comment

I have an 82 XV750 hanging around. It was my go to ride before I picked up my dressed GS850. It is surprising how competent the bike is on the road. It has one of the better seats around, and that's a real sore (pun intended) subject with me. I like the powerband and vibes are nothing for a V-twin. Get your carbs synched up good and go enjoy the best clutch action around. Starter always sounds like sh*t, but it still works OK. These bikes require very good grounds, so add a couple. The drive shaft is bullet proof. Charging and regulating problems are very rare as well.

Comment

The starter on this is shot. I haven't done any real investigating, but the horn doesn't work either. I am wondering if it's a fuse, but heard the starters go out very easily on these bikes. I think there is a kit to correct it? Anyways, I have been starting it with the solenoid. The PO took the baffles out of the exhaust so my friend's neighbors will not be amused.

Comment

If you are using the solenoid, it's not the starter that's shot. Either way, they have a 2 brush starter in 81, and a 4 brush starter can be found for around 100 bucks. The whole starting system is lousy, so be prepared to replace the clashing gears when you pull it apart for the starter. In a pinch, it will push start easily.

Comment

I have been tasked with getting it ready for the trip. He also wants it painted army green with a WWII themed Army star on each side of the tank. I would like to find out where I can get the paint they use to paint ammo boxes with. That paint seems like it is indestructible. I know it isn't my original question. Just wondering where I could find that paint ???

I will do some further investigation into the starter gremlin. Before I put it in storage, I was riding this bike everywhere. I even rode the Dragon on it. I just want to make sure I get it ready for a long trip.

Comment

Steven....how goes it??????
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Steven....how goes it??????
                    Its going well. He is going to be paying for the parts needed to make this bike run well. I am going to wait on the starter until the fuse box is replaced. It's cracked so that may solve the electrical gremlins. I am also going to replace all the fuel lines and both petcocks. The idle screws have both been snapped off ugh! So those have to be replaced. Lots of little things. He is also going to buy the hard case saddle bags that have the turn signals/brake lights already in them ( deal on eBay).

Comment

I also did an online search regarding the paint used for ammo boxes. I couldn't find the actual paint, but there was a jeep forum where someone wanted to paint their Jeep "army green". Someone made the suggestion of mixing auto clear coat in with the flat olive drab paint. Until I can verify this actually works, and the paint stays flat/non gloss I might give that a shot. I am also wondering if just getting a decal would work better than painting the star.

Comment

Did you see this on ebay ?
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          that is very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Here is a video I took of the bike after starting it and letting it run a few minutes (its been in storage for over a year):

http://youtu.be/QB1ey2YIOeY

Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2015, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X