Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb spitting up - timing issue or dirty passages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb spitting up - timing issue or dirty passages?

I've been working on my 1990 ZX-10 project lately. I finally got a set of fully stock carbs (seems like every single person who owned one of these put on the dynojet kit). Anyway, when I got it she did not want to run well below 4000 rpm (suspected worn needles...they didn't look all that great). Like I said, I removed the modified carbs and put on stock ones after throughly cleaning and dipping them, putting in new gaskets and stock needles, setting float height, etc. It does have a 4:1 pipe but stock airbox. She will idle on the choke only and sometimes spits out of the carb body. It's not a full backfire but more of a little spit or pop. It won't take any throttle. Slides are not stuck as they will try and move when I carefully open the throttle a bit. I haven't checked the timing yet but wondering if I should hit the carbs again or could this be timing related?

Thanks,
    Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Well, I recleaned the carbs and found the pilots were still clogged. Now she's running much better. I can still hear it pop sometimes out of the #1 carb though. Any ideas on what would cause that? I have set the valve clearances btw.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
    X