Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take on the Bell 500 Helmet?

Hey guys,
    On the market for a new 3/4 helmet didn't know if anyone had any experience with the newer Bell 500 helmets.

My HJC 3/4 is OLD and I desperately need a new one for this season...

I have a HJC Symax 3 modular W/ BT for every day use but I tend to ride open face more often then not in warmer nicer climate. There looks like there is allot of face shield accessories for the 500, I hear the quality is good too. I would likely get the RSD (pictured above). Seems like a the best 3/4 I can find. I really like the design as well...

Does anyone have any opinions on this helmet our the Bell brand? I've always bought HJC for my local MC shop is a dealer for them and they usually hook me up with a great deal.

Any 2 cents is always appreciated!
    Thanks
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

The part where most of the impacts happen is missing.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My thinking exactly. Why would anyone buy a 3/4 or half helmet?

Here's a cool Bell.

bullitt.jpg
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post

Here's a cool Bell.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44414[/ATTACH]
        Is that Bell Bullitt? I'll look into that.
        Jedz Moto
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2002 Honda Reflex 250
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yep, the Bullitt. Totally cool modern vintage.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Very Informative. The screen is HUGE!

Thanks for the 2 cents!
            Jedz Moto
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2002 Honda Reflex 250

Comment

I wonder where they came up with the name "Bullitt". If it has to do with Steve McQueen and the movie Bullitt, they would have to pay Warner Brothers, estate of Steve McQueen and possibly others for the use of the name. I know as I own a Mustang Bullitt and Ford had to pay royalties to call it that.

I bought a Bell Vortex from these people: http://www.ebay.com/usr/508motorcycl...72.m2749.l2754

I paid $68.00 shipped for a brand new helmet. The local Suzuki dealer has the same helmet for $178.00.

Check them out. They may have what you're looking for.
              Last edited by Deuce; 03-01-2016, 08:37 PM. Reason: additional info
              https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I can attest to that.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Here's a cool Bell.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44414[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks......this is my next helmet, w/bubble shield.

Comment

I have been using a Bell Mag 8 for the past couple of years for my Goldwing riding.
                    It has been really comfortable, versatile , and protective. I have a tinted shield on it that is a light grey and I can use it at night to reduce glare.
                    Overall a really nice helmet - I installed a headset that hardwires to the bike for radio/cb / intercom and it is fine.

​On the GS I use my older 3/4 HJC because it is comfortable, and has lots of cool stickers ...

Comment

Full face helmets do provide greater protection than 3/4 helmets in some crash scenarios. I would not begin to dispute that. What I do question is the percentage street crashes in which a full face prevented injury when a 3/4 would not have. Contrary to conventional motorcycle 'wisdom' there is little evidence to indicate that percentage would be anywhere near the level currently claimed by experts and laymen alike.

Now before everyone starts posting up the picture of their full face with the gouged up chin bar let me cut you off by saying that alone does not prove anything except that your protruding chin bar hit the ground instead of or along with the top and/or side of your helmet hitting the ground. It does not indicate that your face would have hit the ground. There is some pretty good physics to suggest it would not have in most cases.

I don't want to hijack Jedz thread. Maybe I should start a separate one on helmet coverage. But I did want to say that if he or anyone else finds a good 3/4 that they like, fits well, and takes a shield they needn't pass it up for lack of protection IMO. I do not concur with those who hold that anything less than a full face helmet might as well be a doo-rag.
                      Last edited by dpep; 03-02-2016, 05:14 PM.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

The two times my head hit pavement, the side of the helmet was scraped.
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          Full face helmets do provide greater protection than 3/4 helmets in some crash scenarios. I would not begin to dispute that. What I do question is the percentage street crashes in which a full face prevented injury when a 3/4 would not have. Contrary to conventional motorcycle 'wisdom' there is little evidence to indicate that percentage would be anywhere near the level currently claimed by experts and laymen alike.

Now before everyone starts posting up the picture of their full face with the gouged up chin bar let me cut you off by saying that alone does not prove anything except that your protruding chin bar hit the ground instead of or along with the top and/or side of your helmet hitting the ground. It does not indicate that your face would have hit the ground. There is some pretty good physics to suggest it would not have in most cases.

I don't want to hijack Jedz thread. Maybe I should start a separate one on helmet coverage. But I did want to say that if he or anyone else finds a good 3/4 that they like, fits well, and takes a shield they needn't pass it up for lack of protection IMO. I do not concur with those who hold that anything less than a full face helmet might as well be a doo-rag.
                          I know Skull caps and and half helmets are not accepted as proper head gear by the MSF...

However the MSF states that 3/4 and Full face helmets offer good protection in most crash scenarios, why you can wear a 3/4 helmet in any MSF course. Oddly though If you wear a modular you HAVE to wear it down during the course but a 3/4 is fine. They said it had something to do with the helmets design to absorb impact and a modular is designed to function shut. FYI on that.

I personally will go down the Bullitt route for I really like the design and build quality... I'll be grabbing one of these soon:

Stainless and Chrome accents... Fiberglass shell, leather interior... High quality for sure!

I really really enjoy riding with a 3/4 helmet because of the visibility you get from using one. I also love the wind in my face, I think shield up I'll get the same effect from a Bullitt.

Thanks for the 2 cents Wings on you Bell! I'm glad you have had positive results from it... Why I want to steer away from HJC, you get what you pay for.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2002 Honda Reflex 250

Comment

The Bullitt line is a good choice, Jedz.

Here's an FYI regarding importance of chin-area protection that we use in MSF classes:

'80 GS1000ST
                            '92 ZX-11
                            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

I looked on Bell's website to see if they had suggestions on how to measure for helmet size and came up empty. I realize hitting up a Brick and Mortar to size is best, but any measurement suggestions for the Bullitt?

Comment

Working...
                              X