MV Agusta Brutale 1090

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MV Agusta Brutale 1090

A friend of mine, an educated, interesting guy who will probably never settle down (goes through girlfriends like a pirate goes through rum) cannot seem to buy a practical motorcycle. His last bike, a Ducati Monster 796, spent more time in the shop, waiting for parts than it did on the road. He just texted me to show me his new bike, a Brutale.

It is a pretty bike, certainly a fast one. But ...

He admits the seat may as well be made of fiberglass.

It gets less than 30 mpg, even on the highway.

No woman will ever want to ride on the back (maybe that is a plus for him).

It is horrifically expensive to insure.

Its reliability may not better the Ducati.

I used to invite him out for rides, but if I was going anywhere outside of town, he would pass, saying that the Ducati was not comfortable for longer rides. Now, he seems to have simply replaced the Duc with a faster, less comfortable version of itself. I make fun of bar-hoppers for their impracticality. It would seem that the Italians have exactly that in their modern cafe prima donnas.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Well, they're track weapons, not touring machines. That said, I have seen at least one Monster a few hours from home with no complaints. Seats can have padding added, apparently.

Some riders are not good long ride companions. That has less to do with the bike.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

........ but he can say he has one.... thats enough for some. I don't, nor will I ever understand.....
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Is he the type that has to have "the next new big thing?" I know a guy like that with cars. I swear he doesn't keep anything long enough to have equity in it, and is constantly losing money. He'll trade in a Vette after a year to get a Shelby, then trade the Shelby for a Hellcat, etc. But hey, he has the "hottest thing on the road" even though he trailers them everywhere.
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
        Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Yeah, he only dates girls who look like models (and dumps them when they start talking relationship), and the bikes he rides may as well be models themselves, for all their practicality. When he showed me this one, I said, "And just when I had hoped you would see the light and get something fast AND reliable, good looking AND comfortable, you go the opposite direction."

Funny thing: The 1150 with just a little bit of work will hang with his newfangled wonderbeast (in a straight line).
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
          X