Nephew bought a $3000 headache...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nephew bought a $3000 headache...

Nephew went to look at a XR650L dual sport... and bought it.
    New overbore, HotCam, FCR carb, WB exhaust, etc. OK, not bad.
    Ran for 1 mile. He layed it down at 10 mph, then the pig started to smoke. Bad. Then died, he had to push it home.
    Nephew thought he just wasted 3 grand ...
    We dove in today and found the shop that did the work forgot to tighten the head bolts. All of them. Yes, they popped off with a twist of my (weak) wrist. ​Edit - loose bolts not the real problem. see below-
    I can't find anything else to complain about. Nothing warped. SO he's out $100 worth of OEM gaskets, and he learned a lot.

Not much of a question for you guys, I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening
    Last edited by exdirtbiker; 08-07-2017, 09:56 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Those motors are bulletproof.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

If crap aftermarket gaskets were used the head torque may be due to gasket compression. Better recheck torque to make sure it doesn't loosen again
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I got to ride this thing over the weekend. It's 2004 XR 650 SM bored to 675, 41mm FCR carb, custom headers.
        Puts about 60 HP to rear wheel. A real treat to ride on tight twisty roads and not bad on bigger sweepers either.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Those motors are bulletproof.
          Well, my personal experience is different from that. The 500 Ascot that I bought for my brother got a whole top end on warranty after a tour up the coast through Yosemite, then down 395 back to Orange County. They will overheat and warp cylinders and heads if run too hard. Honda knew what they were doing when they gave the Ascot a 6 month warranty. That said, it was hot, there was a headwind, and I didn't know that he was flat out basically from Bishop to Mojave. I was cruising 75 on the Commando, and he was keeping up.

Also, in the first year of the La Carerra road race between SanFilepe, in 1986 accross the Baja Peninsula between the Gulf of California (or Sea of Cortes, if you like), no Hondas in the singles class finished. In '87, when I rode down there and entered on my street bike, a Ducati 450 Jupiter from the 70s won the Singles class, because David Roper didn't show up on his IOM winning '63 Matchless G50.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

After more thought, and a return to ThumperTalk forum, I now realize the true problem was the wrong head gasket installed. I believe they used an XR600 gasket.
            The exhaust ports have no gasket around them, so they were blowing exhaust out through the gap, as if the gasket was blown out. It wasn't blown, just the wrong one.
            The holes are related to the smog pump that was removed by PO.
            IMG_5255.jpg
            1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
            1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              I got to ride this thing over the weekend. It's 2004 XR 650 SM bored to 675, 41mm FCR carb, custom headers.
              Puts about 60 HP to rear wheel. A real treat to ride on tight twisty roads and not bad on bigger sweepers either.
              I love that bike !
              I spy oversize rotors, Excel rims / hubs, steering damper, and those beautiful pipes with carbon cans. They go together into one can or 2 separate cans?
              Someone has $$$ and time to play. Aaah, to be young again ...

Comment

Well the guy who owns it is 66, said it was like surfing, you need the right tool for the conditions.
                The exhaust has dual carbon cans out the back with some dinky led turn signals and brake light on top of the license plate.
                Dangui or some such name on the back of cans.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

And the hits keep coming... they put the cam chain tensioner in wrong, too. It rode the cam chain instead of pushing on the back of the guide.
                  IMG_5364[1].jpg

Comment

Harry Potter and the Cursed XR.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Personally, Seeing the issues you are experiencing, I would park the bike, find a good COMPETENT mechanic and have the motor put together properly. I would rather have a $4500 gem I enjoy than a $3000 worthless pile of parts. If your capable of doing the motor work, even better.
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Just as a follow-up:
                        It's everything I remember about an XR...
                        First gear waaay too fast for anything you would call "woods".
                        Bike way too tall
                        Wheelies at 40 mph by mistake
                        goofy handling over 60

I don't want to give it back.

Comment

Working...
                        X