Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm about to get a Goldwing

CMG CHG 5215 by gillinghams2007, on Flickr

I posted this picture a couple of years ago of a ride I went on with my Dad. Some may know he had a stroke in July and has decided to give me this 2006 Goldwing he bought new. He gave me the title last Friday and I just need to register, make room and bring it home. Well the wife isn't that keen really about it. This makes 6 bikes. There is a bit of sentimental value to it as this photo is the only time we have ridden together.

I've never ridden a bike this large, both in weight and size and I don't know much about them other than the specifications of engine and equipment. I did help a friend who was storing one move it. The electric power reverse is an odd sensation when using. If anyone has any advice on moving, riding, owning or working on one , please speak up. Goldwings and Harleys were really low on my potential ownership list. I really wish I could ask if anyone wanted to swap for it.
    Last edited by Charlie G; 11-28-2017, 11:16 PM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

You're going to love that thing.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Em says she will only come touring with me if I get one...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That bike looks like the type that once you get it out on the road you will wonder how you ever got along without it!
        Last edited by Nessism; 11-29-2017, 11:01 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would trade you my Beast for that in a heartbeat. But I think I would still owe you a whole bunch-o-money, which I don't have.
          1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
          1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
          1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
          Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
            ....................... Well the wife isn't that keen really about it. .......
            Charlie,

Yah, sentimental value. Your dad's bike.

Get used to riding it. THen take wife for ride on a nice day. See what she says then.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

No bike I would rather have if I were going to do a cross country ride. Coast to coast on interstate highways and you will never tire of it. Of course most of us don't like to do the super highway touring, but I have heard stories of guys riding to Sturgis on their Harley's and on at least one occasion, a rider from Texas stopped in Nebraska and traded his H-D in for a Goldwing. Never heard of that happening the other way around.

I had a friend who once toured the perimeter of the US on his Goldwing during a 13 week summer vacation. He put high mileage on his every year.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I never thought I'd be the Goldwing type, but look at the Barge in my sig.

It's my vacation machine, and has never missed a lick. It's heavy and bulbous, and not all that attractive. I hate looking at it all winter, and I still vacillate about owning it, but one thing's 100% consistent: 20 miles into a motorcycle vacation, I'm suddenly perfectly certain that I will NEVER sell this bike -- unless it's for another Goldwing.

I'll spend 8 or 9 days doing nothing but riding, and every night, no matter how tired I am, I'm still disappointed that I have to park it and shut down that beautiful 6-cylinder engine so I can check into my motel and get some sleep.

I get where I want to be, in comfort and confidence, time after time. Aim that bike at the Blue Ridge Parkway and you'll be addicted; you'll never question your ownership again -- until winter, of course, when you'll hate it for about 4 months. Get used to it now, because that bike has probably 15 good solid years left in it.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Charlie, I'm sorry to hear about you father and wish him well. Not the way one wants to get a bike, but why not try it? An older friend of mine absolutely loves his.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well, I have that Wing's "little brother", a 2000 GL1500SE. The difference is about like your 650 and 750. One is nice, the other is just a little more "nice".

If you are a peg-scraping corner burner, you may be a bit surprised at the Wing's ability. Yes, it's big and heavy, but surprisingly agile.

If you are more of a touring rider already, it will only take a minor adjustment to the weight of the Wing. By the way, they are only heavy at, and below, walking speeds. Above that, it seems to shed about 100 pounds and feels more like an 1100GK.

Sentimental value aside, I think you will easily learn to like the bike. If your wife enjoys riding with you at all, she will soon be finding reasons to go somewhere, and those "somewheres" will be farther and farther away.

By the way, I understand the sentiment of a "once in a lifetime" picture. There are three of them in my signature. The one with my mother was her first ride, ever. Unfortunately, it was also her only ride. The one with my siblings was the first time that the four of us and our spouses all rode together. Although we are all still alive and still have our bikes, one of my sisters was in a head-on accident a couple of years ago that probably erased any chance of her riding again. The family portrait is one we hope to repeat some time, it was the first time that all four in the immediate family were riding on four separate bikes.

Enjoy your time with your dad, even though it might not be on the bike any more.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If your other half isnt comfortable on one of those then she simply isn't pillion material.

Congrats on the Wing, sad about your dad but at least you can ride it and think of him and the good times.

If you end up riding big miles on it they are good candidates for dark side (there's a rabbit hole for you!).

Enjoy.
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I've never ridden a Gold Wing for a reason.... I might like it to much! ☺
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Had a 76. Great bike . Replaced the timing belt , synced the carbs, upgraded to a dynna iggy, and added airhorns. Rode it FLA to TX a couple times. Thing was a dream to ride.

Comment

My 75 is a great bike and has 81,000+ on the clock. More comfy than any of my GSs on a long haul. Less sore butt on a wing than a GS.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I think i ride because my dad did. He's pushing eighty and hasn't ridden in years now. He had a '81 gl1100 back in the day, i worked at a Honda dealer back then and used to make fun of wing owners, the deep pocket short arm jokes and "why don't you just buy a convertable car". (my dad went that route btw!) I now ride with my thirty year old son, on the street, and we drag race just about every week from April to October. When i got my '88 i gave him my "GK'D" '79 GS850. Me and my wife LOVE our wing. Wish we had got it sooner! I ride it every day during riding season, handles as well my 850. Just keep in mind that it's a big top heavy bike and ride it as such.
                              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Working...
                              X