Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would like to know if there's any locals interested in either helping to fix/buyg650l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would like to know if there's any locals interested in either helping to fix/buyg650l

I had a tumble today and (as far as I know) the front end of my bike is a bit messed up...There's no damage whatsoever to the engine as far as I can tell other than it won't start now after driving it home flooded maybe or the fact it just took a huge tumble also IDK lol I do know it took me a while to get up off the ground too ...it was one that had sat in the weather for a while so i bought it and am slowly restoring it. I just bought everything I could afford to get it going great including brand new tires just 3 days ago and took a spill today. From what I can see is the tach and everything on the front end is out of line along with handlebars bent and broken brake lever along with just about everything else on the front end. Looks as though the forks are even messed up. Pretty much all the plastic from the gas tank forward is toast. I am in a huge predicament as I need this bike as my only transportation at the moment so any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW if you're from northeast Texas and know of Daingerfield or lone star I am in one of the closest cities to there. I have cash just not outrageous money so if someone could point me in the right direction to getting these parts to fix my bike would be greatly appreciated Thank you. If someone's willing to put a price out there on it the tires are brand new brand new intakes just about everything is new so if someone's willing to take it off my hands for a good running bike that I wasn't lucky enough to even drive enough to get the handle of please let me know...I'm VERY willing to negotiate a deal where we both win.....

What kind of " tumble"?. . Forks should be ok unless you drove into something . They might have loosened up in their mounts.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      What kind of " tumble"?. . Forks should be ok unless you drove into something . They might have loosened up in their mounts.
      I didn't hit anything just layed the bike over and everything just kind of stuck in the mud but kept going lol if you know what i mean. I barely caught my shoulder on the gravel on the edge of the road and my bike hit soft mud that i guess held onto it while it still had momentum I really wish it had just skid down pavement mighta hurt me worse but the bike wouldn't have had so much holding it back as it went. Now the steering is all outta whack I haven't had time to actually check everything out just know the tire now rubs the fender well along with headlight, blinkers, brake master cylinder and guages all busted up, handlebar is bent too. It's like the forks lost all the stiffness they had too. With all the cables and headlight in the way i really can't tell what is bent and what isn't i just know when handlebars are dead center the tire is pointing to the left a bit and it's now rubbing the fender. I just gotta dig into it and check it out... Can anyone point me to a place to buy a new guage cluster other than e-bay that'll also have everything else I may need for a cheap price that'll take credit card and not make me use paypal?

Comment

Before you start acquiring/buying parts go through the bike thoroughly.
        If the entire front end needs to be replaced it might make more sense to look for another bike.

When and if you decide to fix it up start a thread in the "Parts Wanted" section.

Good to hear you were not seriously injured.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Unless you have a local salvage yard than you'll need to deal with Ebay and Paypal. Good thing is Paypal can use your credit card
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It wouldn't hurt me too much to replace the whole front end as the bike itself originally cost me $100 and only took less than $300 to have it driveable. Some of that 300 was for paint also along with tires and new intake manifolds so I couldn't imagine it being cheaper to just buy a whole new bike instead of a whole new front end lol. I got my tire straightened out with the old loosen everything up and pump it up and down trick but it's still off a bit. That tells me either a fork is bent or maybe the triple T?

This is all a huge learning experience as I've never worked on anything with less than 3 wheels.

I really appreciate the advice you guys have given me. One thing I have noticed that bugs the crap out of me about this whole situation is I can't find a salvage yard within 100 miles of me but notice people having junk bikes all over the place in yards and stuff. Lol it just bugs the crap out of me there's so many junk bikes I see from the highway when going places but no access to them nor any idea of where to start to find the owner. Lol more people need to start taking their old junk bikes they have let sit for years and plan to never do anything with to the junk yards for folks like us so we don't have to pay outrageous prices online for parts that are from old junk bikes that have been sitting for years in someone's yard lol.

One question I do have is if I need to replace forks and stuff are there other models of bikes that would have forks and other components compatible with this one? Could forks from say a gs550 work or maybe another brand altogether like yamaha or something? I've noticed parts for most other brands are much cheaper than parts for suzuki. I guess there's a reason why suzuki is such a great name though and you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
            X