No announcement yet.

Honda CB700SC Nighthawk for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matchless Silver Hawk. Overhead cam V4 built in the early 30s. I've never seen one. Would like to though. At 72 today, that bike would have been 9 tears old when this sporty fellow was born.

Kind of like a twenty something with a GS1000 today, although you can bet that the Matchless had a different wrench time to ride time ratio, with an engine designed in the 20s. I had never heard of that engine family, so thanks for that.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by The1970's View Post
      I think you're right. It is fairly common across brands. What is unique to the Nighthawk is that every one I've ridden (mine included) makes a terrible clunk when shifting into 1st from neutral. Sounds like the transmission is ready to come apart. The only known solution is to ignore it and ride on
      Compared to many bikes, I find that Hondas do this in a more pronounced way-or at least vintage ones: My 900F does it more than many other non-Hondas I've had.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by The1970's View Post
        makes a terrible clunk when shifting into 1st from neutral. Sounds like the transmission is ready to come apart. The only known solution is to ignore it and ride on
        Ridden a Harley lately ???
        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
        1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
        Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post

Actually yeah, I just sold a Sportster. The Honda clunk is significantly worse
          The current garage:
          1978 GS750
          1975 GT750M
          1984 CB700SC
          1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
          1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
            Way worse: Victory 92C. Holy tractor clunk, Batman!!!
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...680656224.html

16" front wheel was all the rage at that time. It wasn't a lasting fad.
              Just a comment about 16" front wheels: They did pass away quickly in favor of the 17" wheel, with the lone exception of the 92-99 Honda CBR900RR.
              Still a cult favorite because it was the first liter bike with the weight and handling of a 600cc. Short 55" wheelbase and 450lb with a full tank!
              It's popular to put a 17" wheel on it, but only for the better tire availability.
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 09-07-2018, 07:13 AM.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I previously mentioned there was an issue with the 84 CB700SC. I don’t remember what it was but I was working on my 86 CB700SC today. Noticed in the shop manual that Honda increased the engine oil capacity for the 85 model, and then again increased the oil capacity for the 86 model.

The CB700SC has oil in the frame. I would pass on a bike that had an engine swap because the original motor was badly trashed.

Comment

Working...
                X