No announcement yet.

Flat car tire on a bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still waiting to see a lawn roller covered in 1/2" of Flex Seal used as a rear wheel on a VTwin chopper.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

My Real World Experience --

I tried a Darkside tire on my GL1500 Goldwing for 30,000 miles -

it DID work -- it DID deliver more miles per Dollar -it DID stop & start well - it DID corner ok
      it DID stick in the rain - it DID work in the dry - it DID give a good ride - it DID hold pressure

The CAR TIRE does a lot of things we wish motorcycle tires would do --

EXCEPT (for me) -
      It felt kinda weird all the time -
      I felt it push (think Nascar) often as it continued to drive me straight ahead
      It wanted to stand UP straight rather than lean over - I had to consequently continue to steer in the corners all the time
      while on a MT one can set the lean and ride through the turn.
      I DID NOT check the final drive often cause the tire lasted so long (no damage but I wonder?)
      I was NOT confident in a deep lean over although I could and did scrap the pegs at the Dragon while on a CT.

it DOES work - But (for me) it was a weird feeling and I returned to the sensation of a motorcycle tire
      There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle and buying tires is part of the equation -

My 2 ¢
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I don't have a bike with wide enough rims really anyways but ^^^Wingcosin, you confirm my "bias" without trying them myself. In other words, thanks for that description! anyways, I don't mind wearing tires out "quickly" if it means wearing/tearing the rubber off the tire is a necessary corollary of "grip".

On the other hand: I have to assume motorcycle tires are made in shorter production runs and thereby more expensive to produce and market. Also, each motorcycle tire is made for the "extreme" ....or at least, for those of us getting "ready" for the "extreme" situation . I probably never get near the full capability of my tires.

so, while I could probably use a car tire and save a $, I think I'll wait until I move to Saskatchewan.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          so, while I could probably use a car tire and save a $, I think I'll wait until I move to Saskatchewan.
          ...but then you'll have to kill yourself.
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Funny guy! but seriously, the Prairies are a wonderful place after all these rocky humps blocking the view, treebranches poking me in the eye...

And pushing the whales outta my way is getting old too.

Comment

hell cars used to run bike thin tires its only fair.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Just threw the coin down on a GV1400 pumpkin, so things are moving again.
                Annoyingly, all of the breakers sell the pumpkins without the relevant spacer within them that slides over the axle shaft.
                Just as annoyingly, the axle shafts that I've seen up on ebay all have no spacer and none available seperately. There's one complete wheel with axle, complete with all spacers, but the shipping will be horrendous unless I can get him to cut the tyre off (it's well worn and ancient anyway).
                Since I already have a wheel and axle, there's no point in getting those again.
                The spacer is listed as defunct by Suzuki, but there's one stockist claims to have it in - if that's real.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have looked at getting a newer pumpkin, but have not found one compatible with dual shocks.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I have looked at getting a newer pumpkin, but have not found one compatible with dual shocks.

If the supply of dual-shock pumpkins dried up, I'd look seriously at going monoshock and use a later one, complete with swinger, etc. A lot of work and hassle, but it's been done plenty of times. Luckily for me, there's no shortage of unwanted and unloved low-mileage older bits
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That's quite a bit more work than I want to put into my bike.

Maybe if everything broke and I HAD to change, but not "just because".

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X