Gas caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas caps

Anyone know where I can find a gas cap for an 81 GS450 L? Its the round type. I looked on ebay. The cheapest I found was $30. Thanks!

bakirkwold......Is it missing or just not working. I just took mine apart (about 37 ps.) soaked it for several days in mineral spirits (the can was on the workbench). The locking fingers on mine are aluminum and had corroded pretty badly. I buffed everything on the wire wheel, lubed it and re-assembled it. Works freely now. If you try this be carefull with the springs. With a lot of practice, I've got my shop floor spring search down to 15-20 min. but it's still a PITA.

Comment

bakirkwold......I failed to mention, Dime City Cycle has a nice monza cap for less than $50. The only downside is that the bronze monting ring will have to be brazed on top of the tank. I don't have a gas rig but it shouldn't cost much to have a good welder install it. It may be just a quirk of mine, but nothing looks cooler than a Monza cap on a vintage bike.
      Niels

Comment

I just made my own out of an old one that came in my bucket of parts when i got the bike...when i got it it was big and square so i trimmed it to the gasket

Comment

bakirkwold,
          Did you find a gas cap? I cut the neck off my tank and am installing an Aston cap. I have no use for the original. Let me know.
          Niels

Comment

what makes you think there is a problem with yours, or is it just rusty and horrid?
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
            X