GR650 Tempter chain and sprocket questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this is what Tsubaki claims:
    "Tsubaki chain has perfectly cylindrical bushings and is pre-stretched for decreased initial elongation and increased wear life."
    Sounds like they put it under tension at some point in the manufacturing process. Could just be marketing hype, that happens.
    All chains, motorcycle and otherwise, stretch. If you purchase a higher quality chain it will take longer to stretch, as you have noted. A lower quality chain will stretch quicker and require more adjustments. My GS has required 3 adjustments in over 10k miles. The GPz chain, OTOH, has required multiple adjustments in just over 1k miles. It will be replaced with an EK SRO chain.
    Proper chain maintenance, as I suggested in an earlier post in this thread, will extend chain life and maximize the number of miles between adjustments. Keep it clean, keep it lubed, and keep an eye on it and you should enjoy lots of miles. Let it go, ignore it, and it will wear out before your eyes. This is where the shaft drives, and even belt drives, have the advantage. Much lower maintenance, although they still require periodic attention.

Comment

Thanks for the response Koolaid. Seems like marketing hype to me. So far happy with the Tsubaki chain.

Comment

Got a build thread on the GR?

I just put a 16-tooth on mine, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I used a 525 Suzuki sprocket that a lot of folk on the GR forum said they were using with no ill effects.

Did you change out the handlebars?

Comment

Hey Oldrookie...nope, no build thread. The GR I got was pretty close to stock and I'm just trying to get it back into proper running shape. I have ordered a 16 tooth front sprocket, a new stock 38 tooth rear sprocket and a 530 o-ring chain.

It did come with Suzuki sport handle bars though. At least that's what the PO said. And they are shorter bars but he insisted they were "official Suzuki sport bars and they were really hard to find". But this is the same guy who used wood screws to hold down the gas tank and wood screws to keep the instrument cluster covers on. And other nefarious "fixes".

Now my son, on the other hand, has a GR that was in pretty rough shape and he's turning that into a "streefighter" type bike. He has radically cut and re-welded the frame something awesome and is in the process of turning out quite a bike. His theme is to make a streetfighter type bike but using only the older technology that the bike came with. Should be pretty neat when he's done. And he is documenting his build. When it's done, I'm sure he'll want to post it.

Did you by chance take out the block on the carb air/fuel mixture screws? We did and I'm expecting to get a lot better carb response by doing that. Of course the carbs have been completely rebuilt. But I am rambling...
          sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
          1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
          1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
          1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
          1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
          1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
          1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
          1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

I think I've been reading his build thread on Do the Ton. I love what he is doing with that bike. He mentions your bike on that thread (unless there are two fathers and sons with GR's.)

So are the sprockets 525 or 530 in size?

Wood screws, (chuckle, chuckle, snort.)

The caps were off mine when I got it, but I would have removed them if they weren't already.

Originally posted by Super View Post
            Hey Oldrookie...nope, no build thread. The GR I got was pretty close to stock and I'm just trying to get it back into proper running shape. I have ordered a 16 tooth front sprocket, a new stock 38 tooth rear sprocket and a 530 o-ring chain.

It did come with Suzuki sport handle bars though. At least that's what the PO said. And they are shorter bars but he insisted they were "official Suzuki sport bars and they were really hard to find". But this is the same guy who used wood screws to hold down the gas tank and wood screws to keep the instrument cluster covers on. And other nefarious "fixes".

Now my son, on the other hand, has a GR that was in pretty rough shape and he's turning that into a "streefighter" type bike. He has radically cut and re-welded the frame something awesome and is in the process of turning out quite a bike. His theme is to make a streetfighter type bike but using only the older technology that the bike came with. Should be pretty neat when he's done. And he is documenting his build. When it's done, I'm sure he'll want to post it.

Did you by chance take out the block on the carb air/fuel mixture screws? We did and I'm expecting to get a lot better carb response by doing that. Of course the carbs have been completely rebuilt. But I am rambling...

Comment

Yep..that must be him. I didn't know he was posting on Do The Ton, but I know he goes there a lot.

Yep, wood screws...and other things. But I really love fixing a "problem" bike and getting it up and running again! It's an awesome feeling.
              sigpic

Comment

How's the bike coming along, Super? Just got to ride mine with new sprocket today. Huge improvement. Bike pulls better in every gear and doesn't have the "running out of breath" feeling it used to exhibit.

Excellent way to spend money on a bike.

Comment

Hey oldrookie. It's coming along just fine. I ended up going one tooth up on the front sprocket and a new stock rear sprocket. Just like you. Today I plan on attaching the new sprockets and getting the new tire put on the rear on Tuesday. I also already installed new rear brake linings. So I'm getting real close now!! Basically, put everything back on the bike and crank it up!!

Real glad to hear you finally got to ride yours with the extra tooth on the front sprocket and everything rode well. That makes me feel better about changing the sprocket now that someone else can verify the results. I'm really intrigued to find out how this bike will run and ride. I'm not used to riding so small and light of a bike but if what I'm hearing is true, it should be great fun. I will keep you posted.
                  sigpic

Comment

So close you can taste it! It really is a fun little bike (never thought I say a 650 was little.)

I used to hesitate to run it at 60-65 because it just didn't sound/feel like it was happy doing it. Had it up to 70 and it was perfectly happy to do it. Sprocket really made a difference.

Comment

That's great to hear. Yes..really close now! And it's doubly hard to take as it's supposed to hit 76 and be sunny here on Wednesday! I will update you and when it's all done, I'll post a few pics.
                      sigpic

Comment

So...how did it go? Up and running?

Comment

All right. The new sprockets and chain are on! Unfortunately it is a non o-ring chain which I didn't clue into until after I had cut it to length. Live and learn.

15 tooth front, 34 tooth rear. Ride report coming soon, weather permitting.

Comment

Weather permitted! First ride on the new drive line. Definitely better on the highway. Nasty vibes at 110km/h are gone. Now for a gas mileage check over the next couple of weeks.

For those doing the math:

Front Rear Ratio
                            15 38 2.53 stock
                            16 38 2.38
                            15 34 2.27
                            17 38 2.24 1984 Cycle World long term test mod

Comment

Glad to hear you liked it.

Comment

Working...
                              X