'83 gs450l chain tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 gs450l chain tensioner

Hi guys. Starting working on removing my leaky tensioner today only to find that after loosening the jam nut, the lock screw wont budge. I now have to remove the tensioner w/o being able to lock the plunger in place. Anyone ever had to do this? I looked it over and I think it shouldn't be a problem but I want to make sure the plunger won't fall into the engine. Thanks, Jeremy

Try spraying some PB Blaster in there first and let it soak.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As long as you extract the tensioner slowly and carefully, all should be good.

The plunger can't physically fall into the engine, but if you pull it out quickly you'll potentially let the spring pop the plunger out and maybe lose the spring, and you will also potentially be moving the cam chain around a little more than necessary.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Interesting situation.
        If that lock screw was adjusted properly, 1/4 to 1/2" out, I think it will only allow that plunger to move within a range, however if it wasn't and it was adjusted out possibly more, then there's nothing to hold that plunger in place when you remove it. You could sacrifice the cam chain tensioner by drilling and pinning it, or take tension off the spring, both of which I'm not suggesting except perhaps as a last resort. I'd give the PB blaster a chance to work first. Cam chain tensioners are easy to find on E-bay.
        This will give you an idea of the internals.

sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I finally had another day to mess with it. Got the tensioner out and the plunger wouldn't move. Had to booger up the threads on the lock screw getting it out and noticed that it was screwed in against the plunger. After some handy dandy thread filing, the screw is good as new, and the unit is apart ready to be rebuilt. Now I have to check the cam timing after I put the tensioner back in to make sure the chain never jumped time. Someone at some point screwed this in, set the lock nut and left it that way. Anyways, we're moving forward and the 60 degree temps here in NY are really motivating......Jeremy

Comment

Working...
          X