81 GS 450-T Gear shift linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS 450-T Gear shift linkage

The linkage on my GS 450 gear shifter is pretty clapped out/sloppy. The dealer wants a small fortune for all the parts. Is there another siurce, or alternativ? Thanks!!

Brian

Originally posted by pepsidude View Post
    The linkage on my GS 450 gear shifter is pretty clapped out/sloppy. The dealer wants a small fortune for all the parts. Is there another siurce, or alternativ? Thanks!!

Brian
    Does it use heim joints like some of the other models? I may have a contact for you of a gent that does amazing work refurbishing them. He hangs out on the ZRX board but I'd guess he could do the same with yours. He's based out of Indiana... Lemme know if you're interested.

Comment

This 450 is getting parted out in the sale forum, maybe he can help you out

Comment

I have all of the parts that you need from a '80 550E that are the same and will let them all go for $55.00 shipped in the CONTUS if you are interested.
        Send me a PM for payment info and shipping address.

Daniel

Comment

I fixed mine very cheaply thanks to a tip off from John using some mini heim joints used in R/C cars and things.

I simply got a left and right hand thread one, ground the bead off the existing ones to pop them off, and the new ones have a nut to install with and it uses the existing rod as well.

I still have one issue though which is wearing on the pivot bolt and/or lever that goes on it, and it's very easy to see how that's worn from friction.

The plan for that at some point is to check the roundness of the pivot bolt and if it's ok, drill the lever hole a little larger and sleeve it down for a firmer fit over the pivot bolt.

I'd have to dig through my rebuild thread to find the details of the heim joints again...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
          X