New guy with idle troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with idle troubles

Hello all. I just got my 450 last weekend and after a new battery and for some reason vaccuming out an air box full of rice, hit the key and fired right up. But when it warms up it starts to idle high. It may not have anything to do with it but when i first fired it up one of the carb bowls leaked, but i started it today and they didn't leak.

Thanks for any help.
    Kirk

Kirk, an air leak can be a cause of an idle creep.
    When it is running, spray a small amount of something like wd-40 around the carb to engine manifold and airbox rubbers and listen for a rev change.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Probably the leaking is from a dried out O ring, once fuel got to it the O ring swelled up and hopefully it won't leak any more. Or it might leak until you replace it. The high idle might be caused by an air leak, when you first start it up it is too lean, so it does not rev up. Once it gets warm it can run on less fuel, so it's not too lean o rev up, the idle speed skyrockets. It will still be too lean at low throttle openings.
      As you do all of the required maintenance on Cliff's list, all of these little issues will go away.

Nice bike, the 450T are not very common.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How long are we talking here? You're starting it with the "choke" on? The choke is actually a "fuel enrichment circuit", providing enriched fuel and air. My bike will easily hit 3kRPM on choke: I gradually turn it down to keep the revs down to 1500-2000, eventually reaching about 10-20% open. It usually takes a minute or so before it's ready to idle steady with no choke at all.

If you're talking about after 5-10 minutes of riding, then yeah, sounds like a vacuum leak: intake boots or intake boot o-rings being the primary suspects.

Comment

Yes I do start it cold with the choke on and it seems to be running fine(don't know the rpm tach is broke). It seems to rev fine at all times, just after 10 to 15 mins of running or idleing the idle goes up.

Comment

Working...
          X