Screws holding spline are stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screws holding spline are stuck

Any suggestions on removing the six screws holding the spline on the rear wheel on my 1981 GS 650GL?

I have bent back the retaining tabs and applied penetrating oil. Tried screwdriver, impact driver, open end wrench, all start to do more damage than good. I'd bet the screws haven't come off since the factory installed them.

A heavy duty screwdriver just twists. Would a 'japanese' screwdriver do the same? The bit on the impact driver was destroyed. Any other tips you guys have used?

Originally posted by rteam2 View Post
    Any suggestions on removing the six screws holding the spline on the rear wheel on my 1981 GS 650GL?

I have bent back the retaining tabs and applied penetrating oil. Tried screwdriver, impact driver, open end wrench, all start to do more damage than good. I'd bet the screws haven't come off since the factory installed them.

A heavy duty screwdriver just twists. Would a 'japanese' screwdriver do the same? The bit on the impact driver was destroyed. Any other tips you guys have used?
    Sounds like you better get a better bit for your impact driver. That is how I get them out, works every time but if you have a lower dollar driver it would be usefull to grab some quality bits off a tool truck or some thing. I bought mine off a snap-on truck, cheap driver and higher quality bits.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Use a socket on your impact. May need to heat the screws as they should have lock tight on them

Comment

Do NOT SNAP THE HEADS OFF THOSE SCREWS!! If you do you will be hating life big time. Getting the remainder out will be very very difficult and otherwise the wheel is essentially garbage.

Comment

Thanks for responses. I don't have a compressor or air tools, so I'm using a hand held impact driver and a dead blow hammer. Is that what others have done? Regarding the bit, is this recommended? I wouldn't know where to start to pursue snap-on tools, so I'm limited to the standard hardware and auto parts stores.

Comment

got mine from advance auto, snapped every bit then went to sears n what a difference, i seat the bit with a hammer before applying the impact driver.hope this helps

Comment

Try a non dead blow hammer.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep -- use a real hammer and get a better impact driver from Sears.

Also, heat those screws before you attempt removal again, or the heads WILL break off

The screws are (and must be) installed with thread locker. You need a propane torch to get enough heat in there -- you don't need to heat the screws glowing red or anything, just enough to soften the 30 year old thread locking compound.

If the heads are too buggered for a screwdriver bit (and there's usually not enough room for a socket), cut a slot with a Dremel tool and use the slot bit on the impact.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks again for the info guys. Three hours down and I've managed to turn one bolt one full rotation. Heat, hammer with impact driver, repeat. At this rate I'll be doing this for a week and my arms will fall off. I could pick up a power impact driver, but is that advisable? Would I be at too great a risk of snapping a bolt head?

Comment

how long you heating for?? By heat them we mean for like 10 minutes each bolt so the heat has a chance to migrate down the bolts steel and get that locktite softened up. 2 or 3 minutes isnt gonna cut it. Once the impact has them loose you can quickly turn them out. May have to reheat once or twice but they will come out.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You guys are great. More heat and a better impact driver did the trick. Now I need a new spline. It's definitely brass colored and definitely shot. I put in a call to Sportwheel in Jordan, MN last week but no answer yet. I may start another thread and I'll check Ebay, but I sure could use some help getting a new spline - again it's a 1981 GS650GL

Comment

Working...
                      X