81 GS 450 T Air intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS 450 T Air intake boots

I removed my carbs and rebuilt them. I have new intake botts SO, the question is, I neglected to get new O-Rings. Is there any reason I can't just use the correct size O-Ring from my Metric O-Ring kit ? Or are they made of something special? Has anyone tried just using a gasket? If so how did it work,

Depending how quick you want them, I'd just get a set from cycleorings.com and be done with it. There's fuel flowing through there so whatever goes in there has to be fuel resistant just in case...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

No, you CANNOT use an o-ring from a kit. It will disintegrate very quickly in the heat of the cylinder head.

O-rings made from a special heat-resistant rubber called Viton will work great. They're 40mm ID on your bike, but you can use a #129 o-ring if it's easier to find standard sizes in your area. Again, do NOT even attempt to use a buna-n o-ring from the hardware store or a kit.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by pepsidude View Post
        I removed my carbs and rebuilt them. I have new intake botts SO, the question is, I neglected to get new O-Rings. Is there any reason I can't just use the correct size O-Ring from my Metric O-Ring kit ? Or are they made of something special? Has anyone tried just using a gasket? If so how did it work,
        Call your local Suzuki Dealer...they're a regular stock item because a lot of different models use them. They have them for about a buck a piece and you'll have peace of mind.
        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

You'll get in 3-4 days.
          He's got my address memorized!

Eric

Comment

0-Ring

Well, I'll be juiggered! My dealer had them in stock. About 3 bucks each. Why don't they use a gasket? Just curious

Comment

Working...
            X