Starter not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter not working

This has been an on going thing with my bike. Last season my bike would start sometimes but also might just click. I would have to pop start it to get it going. Today was a nice day so i took it out and pressing the starter button did nothing at all. The only noticeable thing was the dash lights got slightly dimmer. I touched the terminals on the relay together and something sounded like it was spinning, but only sometimes, it would just spark sometimes.

I can pop start the bike fine but pressing the starter does nothing. Also, what does the solenoid look like? Is it the same as the relay?

What kind of voltage is your battery putting out with the key off, on, and while you are pushing the button? Is the kill switch on? Have you taken apart your right hand switch and cleaned it up real well (do it in a plastic baggy the first time)?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I think it might be my battery, the off voltage is 11.68, on but not starting is 7.5, after trying to start it drops to 7.08. Then weirdly after i turn it off it slowly climbs up to 9.5ish. I also just had it tested and charged at autozone, and they said it was fine, but now i'm starting to doubt that

Comment

Battery would be dead. Get a fully charged battery on there and start working at it again. Also, go through your harness and make sure ALL connections are cleaned up and nothing is melted or corroded.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

First, the solenoid is the same thing as the relay.
          Second, a clicking from the solenoid is an indication of low voltage, which you have verified with your posted data.
          The lights dimming is another indicator of low voltage.
          If the battery checks out, it is time to pull out the stator papers and go to town.

Comment

Ok i think i'm just going to pick up a new battery cause this one has been sitting over the winter, is there any specific one I should pick up? or will any 12 volt do?

Comment

The best around are AGM batteries. Come fully charged, fully sealed, last for years. I use MotoBatt, but there are many brands around.

Comment

Just bought a new battery, started right up. Turned it off 5 mins later and couldn't get it to start on the first try, but it started after pressing the button a few times. It would always click though when i press the button. The voltages from the battery are as follows: Off: 13.15 On: 12.5 Pressing Start button: 12.4

Comment

Run through the stator papers

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Ummm, if your voltages are not dropping too much, and they do not seem to be, I strongly suggest you try a garden tractor solenoid. $15 or so at Lowes.

Comment

http://www.lowes.com/pd_335967-442-4...d=10151&rpp=24

Like this?

Comment

Working...
                      X