How's the ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the ride?

Hello all. I figured I'd come here to ask the experts.

I've been given the opportunity to purchase two 1980 gs450s for a very good price. My main reason to pick up another moto is to save me some dough on my 60 mile round trip to work. On the other hand, I'm coming off of a Honda cbr600rr. I'm slightly worried that the 450 will not perform as well as I'd like while cruising down the highway.

Don't get me wrong, obviously the GS will not ride like a crotchrocket, but I'd at least like to know if it will handle a steady 70-75 mph Dow. The highway every day.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks for your time.

How much do you weigh? I am 175 and 5'10". On an 83 GS400, I was hard pressed to get to 70 and I was blown all over the place by cages never mind trucks. In my mind these bikes are great surface road bikes but not the best for highway, at least not for the distance you cover.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Cheers,
    spyug

Comment

Welcome to the nut house, there are plenty 450 riders here who can give you a first hand answer to your question, I don't so I can't, you are right on, the 450 will not be anything like the 600RR, not even remotely, but I am sure a 450 will run at 70 -75 all day, but as Spyug said, it is a light bike and will tend to be affected by wind on the freeway with passing traffic, but that would be true for any light bike.
      I am not sure that it would make that much of a difference in gas milage from the 600 at those speeds either, the bike is probably a bit heavier, less aerodynamic and has lower HP, so the motor will be working harder than the 600, which uses more fuel.
      The main thing you must be aware of, it is not a modern motorcycle, it will require quite a bit of maintenance to bring it up to snuff, no matter what anyone tells you, as long as you know that, if you are not into that, it is not for you.
      As I said, some of the 450 riders should pop in shortly and give you a first hand account.

Comment

I take my 450 on the highway @ 65-70 mph quite regularly. It doesn't have too much problem getting up to 80 either. That being said, my highway time is roughly 5 miles, not 30. Also, the way mine is geared it comes out to roughly 10mph per 900rpm, so at 80 mph I'm almost redlined in the top gear..... not the best way to run a bike for long periods. As you know this can easily be changed by swapping sprockets (which I will be doing in a couple of weeks).

I'm 6'1 185lbs, switched from a 2001 gsxr600, and I can tell you that these bikes don't even compare performance wise. But you knew that before you asked the question...

With a windshield and some lower-than-stock (Drag or Superbike) handlebars you'll cut through the wind much better. Add in some different gears to stay in the powerband and I don't see why you couldn't ride it ~75mph to work regularly. Just do like everyone will tell you, and make sure to keep up on maintenance.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

If by "good price" you mean really good then I wouldnt care what I'd use it for, I'd buy it.
          Figure out what you're gonna use it for later..

Lemme warn ya though, you'll be hooked on these old things.

Welcome to the forums!
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

By good price, I mean $600 for TWO 1980 GSL's. One titled, one not. Carbs need cleaned, the titled needs tires...

If that is my plan, I'll be switching all of the "better" gear over to the titled bike and continue into my cafe racer build.

I need to make up my mind by Saturday.. As my trailer is going to my brothers for his move.

Per the advice on maintenance.. I don't mind it at all. I have 3 vehicles already that are MORE than regularly maintained.
            13 mpg from my offroad Toyota 4Runner, and 23.7-30 mpg from my wrx depending how i drive. The third is the wife's Audi a4.

If I may add... I could use a new hobby. I got really into the CbR for awhile and ended up NOT liking the way it turned out. (all black, chromed out). I sold it for more than I had into it. Lately, with my wife and I's schedule.. I seem to have time on my hands where tinkering with a moto would keep me from endeavoring in other... Less productive hobbies..

The person that had made the offer of these two moto's has 7-8 bikes, he's an auctioneer at heart but has recently taken up a job with our company due to, my guess, the economy. I trust him well enough, as he's offered to help me get the running, clean the carbs, etc. I work with him daily.

Basically, I'm in a position where I can't feel like I can say no. If the bike is capable of getting me to and fro via highway, I'm a happy camper. If I have spend a few bucks on a higher gear to get me there, so be it.

Comment

Sorry. TWO Suzuki GS 450L's.

Comment

Well at that price I would snag them. Even if you don't take to it you can "tart" them up and flip for a profit.

I think you will find the down move from the CBR will be annoying. There is just too much of a performance difference. I noticed that very rapidly with the 400 my student had to my 750. Absolutely no comparison. There is just too much of a difference in performance. On the upside, the bike is light enough to manouver quickly ( effortlessly) and is "flickable". If you play "boy racer" you can have a s**tload of fun with them.

More of my 2 cents
                Spyug

Comment

I am not looking for another sport bike. Yes, it was fun while it lasted.. Maybe too much so. I ended up in the wrong crowd, doing things I swore I'd never do.. You get the point.

I just want a cruiser now. I am pretty sure I am going to go ahead with the deal. If any of you want to sell me a 750+ engine or trade for parts.. Hit me up.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    Well at that price I would snag them.

Spyug
                    Me too!........
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

No such thing as a free puppy or saving money riding a bike. If you look at it as a clean hobby with the side benefit of cheap insurance and gas costs it rationalizes out pretty well.
                      Plan on a few hundred additional dollars for tires, brake system, carb work, gaskets and inevitably a Honda RR for the charging system.
                      As soon as you appreciate the bike for what it is and don't worry about how fast it's not you'll be content.
                      I get more conversation at gas pumps about my 30 year old bike than anyone with a modern sportbike does. When you have seen one crotch rocket you have seen them all.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I'm picking up an 81 gs850 tomorrow, and my brother is grabbing the two 450L's. It all worked out in the end.

Comment

Awesome news, and of course, you know we like pics....lots of them.

Comment

Once it is in my possession, you will have pics galore!

Comment

the new ride, after beginning to pull apart
                              1979 gs1000ln

Comment

Working...
                              X