Interest in a hydraulic clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest in a hydraulic clutch?

I have a 1978 GS400 with a cable clutch. It sucks and is difficult to operate. Is there a conversion to Hydro? I am seeing if there is any interest to make a setup and sell for less than $250 shipped. It would be very similar to my best friends 110 conversion kit. Same Magura mastercylinder will be used. I have to make at least 50 to make it worth my time and bring the cost down enough. Would it fit any other bikes?

Thanks

Get a Honda- some have hydraulic clutches, so smooth/easy you might think it wasn't doing anything. I like simplicity and it would be hard to be simpler than cable. Maybe someone has monkeyed with your clutch springs or cable itself is damaged.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

GS clutch mechanisms tend to come in 2 flavors:
      One style has the clutch cable crossing the engine and connecting to an arm on the clutch cover, which operates the clutch.
      The other style goes into the sprocket cover and operates a rod which crosses the engine internally. That is the style you have on your bike.
      I would expect your hydraulic mechanism, correctly implemented, might fit most models with the same style of clutch operation.
      Personally, I find that removing, cleaning and regreasing the worm drive and checking the rod for straightness cures most clutch issues, as well as removing, cleaning and relubing the cable itself. But that's just me.

Comment

Gses all should have feather pull clutches, unless they aren't working right. Lighter even than anything modern with a hydraulic clutch. Old misrouted and kinked cables, maladjusted mechanisms and worn out baskets can make them harder to pull, but usually it's caused by a PO putting in some silly heavy duty clutch springs.
        Fix yours.
        Last edited by tkent02; 03-27-2012, 01:22 PM.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry i didn't know there was so much love for cable clutches in here. I have cleaned everything and the cable is free and new. Everything is working as it should, but it is still WAY harder to pull than my GSXR1000. The lever on a cable clutch is twice the length and still harder to actuate.

I still disagree that a cable clutch is ever called "butter smooth" better feel maybe, but never smooth cause you can feel the clutch. You lose this with hydraulic.

Manufactures would still use cable on every motorcycle and car made in 2012 if there was a single advantage over hydraulic other than cost.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Gses all should have feather pull clutches, unless they aren't working right. Lighter even than anything modern with a hydraulic clutch. Old misrouted and kinked cables, maladjusted mechanisms and worn out baskets can make them harder to pull, but usually it's caused by a PO putting in some silly heavy duty clutch springs.
            Fix yours.
            My 83 750 mechanical clutch is way easier to pull than the hydraulic one on my 1100.
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Oil cooled GSXR hydraulic clutch setup mated to a custom plate to push your clutch pushrod. or make it fit the stock sprocket cover like I did on my build. A few others have done nice custom plates. I like the way the hydraulics feel personally.
              1978 GS550 E
              673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
              New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
              for playing in the dirt

Comment

My stock clutch is buttery smooth.
                It got that way by following the instructions in the manual concerning correct adjustment.

It involves a check of all the junction points in the mechanism.

You should be able to retrofit a fluid clutch actuator onto a push-rod actuated clutch. I have seen some write-up about this when I was enamored of the possibility of doing it.

Comment

Dunno man. If it can be pulled normally with a ring finger alone, who needs hydraulics?
                  Maybe a finger exerciser would do you more good.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I think of problematic power transmission I am carried back to 1978 when first I heard this song.

In 1944 Louis Jordan made it to number one on both the Harlem Hit Parade and the pop chart.P-F-C to the C-P-L to the S-G-T to the L-TC-P the O-D the M-P make...

Comment

For me the big benefit is when going with more and more power I can go with stiffer clutch setups and still have a decent pull with hydraulic.
                      1978 GS550 E
                      673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                      New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                      for playing in the dirt

Comment

My '77 400 is easy as pie to pull the clutch. I woudln't mind a little more feedback/resistance...

Maybe a PO put some heavy duty springs in?

Comment

Working...
                        X