Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

second oil drain plugs for GS450GA?

Hi,

This will be the first time I am changing the oil on the GS450GA. The manual says I need to remove two drain plugs. It shows pictures of both. The one on the oil pan is easy to find; however, not sure if I have correctly identified the second. From what I can see in the photograph, I think it is behind the shift lever. But there are two there. one closer to the shifter and a larger one further in. There is no description in the manual other than "remove". Can someone advise?

Thanks.

That means it is much like the 650G.

I will be working on one on Sunday, I can look and let you know.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I can walk out and look in a moment, but the shifter region is highly plausable for your oil also lubes the driveshaft.
      WOW! Another GSA owner.
      Howdy, I am Bookmon in Alabama. Love My Suzukimatic!

Comment

YES. two plugs. One big one on the bottom of the oil pan and one smaller one, just under the tubular frame not too far in front of shifter.
        Good luck

Comment

Mission accomplished.

Bookmon and Steve,

Thanks! Identified the second plug. On mine, it is the same size as the plug on the oil pan, but same location as you stated. So now, new filter and oil. Good to go for the spring. Probably change the gear oil in the shaft next month.

Bookmon, yes the GS450GA is a great bike. When I was younger, I had several bikes with chain and manual gears. When I got back into riding with my son, (re)trained on a "normal" bike. Got the GA because it was at such a reasonable price, about $1,400 with less than 2K miles on it. Could not pass it up, but had to get use to not using my left hand for a clutch. Here in Los Angeles, where there is traffic congestion, the automatic makes it a little easier. Better to get out the city or ride early mornings when there are fewer drivers out.

Comment

so, educate me- what size oil filter? I think I have found it at wal mart. Just never sure of these newer numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
              Probably change the gear oil in the shaft next month.
              You talking about the front or rear of the shaft?

The front is actually handled by the engine oil, so nothing special there. (That's the reason for the second drain plug.)

The rear uses standard hypoid gear oil. I think 90w is called for, I use 85w-90 in all of my bikes.
              Yeah, all but one are shafties, and the one that isn't, well, it isn't running anyway.

Originally posted by Bookmon View Post
              so, educate me- what size oil filter? I think I have found it at wal mart. Just never sure of these newer numbers.
              You found one at Wal-Mart? Good, I think the number is 6000 or 6001, if I remember correctly.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Will also change the rear shaft with hypoid gear oil when I find the time.

Tried my local WalMart, but could not find a filter. Got my filters from ebay. Came fairly fast. Order three for about the price of two. Seems like fairly good quality.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                You talking about the front or rear of the shaft?

The front is actually handled by the engine oil, so nothing special there. (That's the reason for the second drain plug.)

The rear uses standard hypoid gear oil. I think 90w is called for, I use 85w-90 in all of my bikes.
                Yeah, all but one are shafties, and the one that isn't, well, it isn't running anyway.

You found one at Wal-Mart? Good, I think the number is 6000 or 6001, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                X