Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting fluid caused compression loss????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting fluid caused compression loss????

So the story is that I had 140 to 150 compression on both cylinders.

I removed the carbs to clean them and also replaced O-Ring boots. Due to a mistake on putting the carbs back on I was only running on 1 cylinder. While troublshooting i used a copious amount of starting fluid.. The end result being that I have lost a good bit of compression on the cylinders with the carbs removed to ensure they are not the issue.

If I add oil to the cylinder the compression goes up but I am only get about 80-90 now.. Sometime lower..

Throw that ether can in the trash.

Remove the carbs and clean them properly. Carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature, plus there is a 450 specific carb rebuild tutorial linked on Basscliff's website...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Do the job right...ONE time...or two in your case.

Check the Top Newbie Mistakes thread too so make sure you are not falling into one of the common traps.

Work smart and you will save a lot of time.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Guess I was not especially clear in my post. I have cleaned the carbs again,, However they are currently removed for the compression test. I am wondering if the Ether could have caused the compression loss somehow.. I used the Basscliff tutorial to clean my carbs by the way.. I accidentally installed the needle jet upside down.. Still not sure how I let that one slip LOL..

so currently the carbs are removed and I get low compression. If I add oil to the cylinder then the compression goes up.. Could the ether have caused this issue to anyones knowledge?

Comment

Ether seldom does an engine any good, but I have not heard of it causing a loss of compression like that.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Starter fluid washes the cylinder walls, and the explosive effect of its unregulated explosion can unseat the rings from their lands. Not a good thing. Try putting just a bit of oil in each cylinder and running the engine to see if they will reseat.

Comment

ok I will see what happens..

Comment

Nothing wrong with ether when used for specific things.
              One of them is to test the integrity of an ignition system.
              A small shot will let you know that things are OK in the ignition when the machine runs on the ether. This would indicate a fuel system problem.

The stuff is being ignited by the sparking system and is subject to the same physical universe as air\fuel mixture.

If you has ever been in the deep woods with a recalcitrant diesel that refused to start you would name a child ether. Winter or summer.

Now if you are going to run the engine on it you are damned foolish and risk fire and all manner of mayhem.

Its made for a quick shot. If that does not work put it away and fix the real problem.

Comment

How long ago was it that you did the 140-150 psi compression tests? On a recently run engine I'd assume.

If anything is wrong with the piston wall sealing I'd have to suspect lack of proper oiling more than the use of starting fluid. I have to wonder just how you were using the starting fluid to cause a 60-70 psi drop in compression.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  If you has ever been in the deep woods with a recalcitrant diesel that refused to start you would name a child ether. Winter or summer.
                  You know your not supposed to use ether on diesel's, every diesel engine manufacturer states this. Strangely some old skool diesel's setup for cold weather had an ether injection system from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                    You know your not supposed to use ether on diesel's, every diesel engine manufacturer states this. Strangely some old skool diesel's setup for cold weather had an ether injection system from the factory.
                    Used em on Caterpillar engines many many years ago. It was not disapproved of at all.

Used to have to fill a pan with diesel and light a small fire under the engines too cos oil was too thick in the cold.

God copious is such a sorry word.

Comment

Originally posted by mpencegs View Post
                      So the story is that I had 140 to 150 compression on both cylinders.

I removed the carbs to clean them and also replaced O-Ring boots. Due to a mistake on putting the carbs back on I was only running on 1 cylinder. While troublshooting i used a copious amount of starting fluid.. The end result being that I have lost a good bit of compression on the cylinders with the carbs removed to ensure they are not the issue.

If I add oil to the cylinder the compression goes up but I am only get about 80-90 now.. Sometime lower..
                      This is the key to the issue. As JR stated, a quick shot will be O.K. Anything more risks injury, both to the engine and to your pocketbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                        We had those on a couple of the trucks I used to drive.

The advantage of the installed system was that it was a CONTROLLED AMOUNT that was injected, therefore could not do as much damage.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ether is an excellent last resort weapon, but that's all it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the reponses guys. I will update when I have more info..

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                              Ether is an excellent last resort weapon, but that's all it should be.
                              It's also a good way to get your face blown off like my buddy Jeff did. 3rd degree burns over 50% of his body shooting that crap down an intake manifold and it blew back and he went up like a roman candle. Said he didn't even remember it, as one minute he was stupidly spraying the crap down the throat of his van, and the next minute he was on fire.

To this day I've never used it, and frankly you can call me a puss but I'm scared to death to be around it being used...

Comment

Working...
                              X