Running lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running lean

Alright guys. My bike is running a bit lean. And it sometimes backfires when I let off the throttle. Usually if I give it a quick blip. Jets are clean. The airfilter is clean. The valves looked good 400 miles ago. Do I need to check them again? The engine is bone stock. Any other ideas? There is some exhaust wrap on the headers.

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
    Any other ideas? There is some exhaust wrap on the headers.
    Did you jet it correctly for the headers?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Did you/have you recently replaced the exhaust gaskets? Usually when you pull the pipes, especially after its been a while since they've been changed out, the exhaust gaskets will fail to properly seal. The exhaust can then suck some cold clean air around them which can cause popping. Also on some models there are gaskets around where the down pipes meet with the muffler section. These typically go untouched for many many years and can cause the same issues.

If your carbs are clean, and your airbox sealed and the intake boots have had the orings that seal them to the head replaced, (if your model has those) this is where I would look. Also a quarter turn or so of mixture screw OUT may be needed as well, but this sounds like air getting into the system somewhere.
      Hope it helps
      TCK

Comment

Nope I haven't checked the exhaust gaskets. My plugs are a bit white too. I will try the 1/4 turn on the carb screw too. Thanks!

Comment

One other thing. If my exhaust gaskets eye leaking will that make it actually run lean? Or just make it pop?

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
            Nope I haven't checked the exhaust gaskets. My plugs are a bit white too. I will try the 1/4 turn on the carb screw too. Thanks!
            Wait are you running an aftermarket pipe without jetting for it? That could be a major issue. You generally need to at very least increase main jet size as well as possibly shimming the needle to get it to run correctly.

Comment

Nope stock exhaust.

Comment

Alright. After I quick test in the garage. Its too cold to ride it to warm up. Its leaking at the H pipe. Right where the pipe connects to the exhaust. How do I fix this and is this my issue? It does pop under no load as well.

Comment

Working...
                X