Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whining noise in the morning, over 20 mph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining noise in the morning, over 20 mph?

Hi,

I have a high-pitch whining noise coming from the front during chilly mornings, low 60s or below. It appears when I am over 15-25 miles per hours, stops when I drop below 15 mph. It is coming from the front half of the bike. It does not come and go with engine RPM. It is not there when the weather is warm. I thought it was the speedometer cable, which I greased. But, the noise is still there.

Any ideas? It is on a GS450GA.

Thanks.

Did you take the wheel off and check the speedo gear assembly? Try cleaning it out the lubing it up! Also try greasing the speedometer it self. I had a Kawasaki that made an annoying noise in cold weather above 25mph it was a constant whine stopped right at 25mph when slowing down then started right back up at 25mph then kept whining the same pitch... Ended up being the Speedometer. Sprayed some WD-40 into the speedo(making sure it was upside down so the grease got into the gauge) and bam stopped whining. Might want to give that a whirl... Low 60' LOL that's warm weather here... the Kawasaki Speedo would act up under 45'...
    Last edited by Jedz123; 04-30-2012, 08:49 PM.
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks. Will try those things the first weekend I have free.

I was going to say in cold weather, then I realized that what is cold in Southern California is not in other parts of the country. I guess that is one of the benefits around here.

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      Did you take the wheel off and check the speedo gear assembly? Try cleaning it out the lubing it up! Also try greasing the speedometer it self. I had a Kawasaki that made an annoying noise in cold weather above 25mph it was a constant whine stopped right at 25mph when slowing down then started right back up at 25mph then kept whining the same pitch... Ended up being the Speedometer. Sprayed some WD-40 into the speedo(making sure it was upside down so the grease got into the gauge) and bam stopped whining. Might want to give that a whirl... Low 60' LOL that's warm weather here... the Kawasaki Speedo would act up under 45'...

Comment

Working...
      X