Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revving Engine in Neutral

Hey Guys,

I'm new, but you'll probably see me around more, most likely with silly questions. I'm a in-training aircraft mechanic (decade of handyman experience) looking to fix up my friend's '81 GS450L. Never really done automotive work before, but I like the familiarity of an air-cooled engine.

I want to check the alternator output to make sure the stator's still good. Both manuals I have and the stator papers all say rev the engine up to 5000 RPM for this, but my friend is uncomfortable doing so in neutral. I know it can be bad to rev an engine hard without any load on it, but I don't know the limits of this engine. Thoughts on what RPMs/durations one should actually worry about?

Much obliged.

The engine redlines at 9-9.5 k rpm so revving it to 5 k for a short time would be ok.
    But, generally revving an unloaded engine is not a good thing.
    I only took mine to 4k rpm and still got 60v+ ac.

Comment

Because these are air-cooled engines, get a box fan and keep it blowing on the engine while tuning to keep it cool. No problem with revving it, we've all done it and these engines are designed to rev.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Won't hurt a thing. Just don't wind it up to redline for more than 10 minutes or so.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Won't hurt a thing. Just don't wind it up to redline for more than 10 minutes or so.
          This.
          It's not like an airplane engine.
          It's not like a car engine.
          Its a motorcycle engine, it's made to spin. 5,000 RPM is nothing.

You don't need a fan either, it only takes a few seconds to check the stator voltage. Nothing will get hot.

Edit, warm the engine up before revving it up to 5,000, that should make your buddy feel better about it.
          Last edited by tkent02; 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X