saw something sketchy on the gr650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw something sketchy on the gr650

The 650 has been releasing exhaust from somewhere other than the exhaust pipe, and I'm having trouble getting the thing to quiet down. I've installed baffles in exhaust tips as mufflers.

So, I turn down the lights with one bright light to follow the smoke. As I looked at the exhaust pipe that leaves the engine I see a separation between the flange and the head. I notice bright color flames ( for lack of a better word) inside the head.

Of course it would seem I need exhaust gaskets, but is it normal to see bright sparks through the separation between the flange and the head? This gap might explain why the baffles I put in the pipes didn't really quiet anything down much.

Any suggestions?

Scudder

Not normal, might be missing/damaged gasket or the some part of exhaust is not letting the flange fully seat into pocket.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

While installing the exhaust did you have the cross pipe connected together?

I'm thinking that with it all tightened down, the cross pipe is pushing the exhaust apart enough to cause a gap near the head .

I would suggest taking the exhaust off and setting it in place loose. then tighten the cylinder bolts first until they are holding the pipe tight to the head and then tighten the cross-pipe and the rests of the exhaust.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I connected the crossover and clamped it before bolting up the exhaust. Makes since that the exhaust didn't line up appropriately. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks a million.

Scudder

Comment

Awesome, mine was the same way. looks cool at night though
          Last edited by Mekanix; 05-13-2012, 10:59 AM.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
          X